Handmaid's tale costume

My lovely friend is a teacher and for literacy week coming up, the teachers dress as a character from a book. She decided on offered from handmaid’s tale.

The costume owes a lot to the TV series, but it’s pretty much what’s described in the book, so I used that as my guide.

I looked at a a few websites and then basically winged it. I made the cap,

the wings

and the cloak

15 Likes

Wowwww!!!

1 Like

Wow! Amazing!

2 Likes

Very nice.
How did you make the headpiece?

1 Like

Trial and error,

I looked at a few YouTube videos, but in the end I bent cardboard over my head to get an approximate shape, and used spray glue to stick white fabric over it.

I folded excess fabric over the edge and stitched it down through the cardboard.

The back is a kind of loose coif shaped sewn to the back edge of the cardboard and pleated down to the nape of the neck.

2 Likes

Awesome work!

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

Fantastic work! You winged it perfectly!!!

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

This is fantastic! I bet students and staff alike were very impressed!

1 Like

You did a great job on this. That cloaks looks so luxuriously satiny and also like it would be slippery to try and sew. Did it give you any issues?

So many issues! It was a quick and dirty costume, if I had more time I would have fully lined it and that would have made it behave better and hang better. But it’s good enough! I mostly just pinned it too her to get the shaping at the shoulders, the placement of the hand holes and the length.

2 Likes