Happy Mail Craftalong 2021 ~ Monthly themes and Birthdays too!

That is exactly the story of her life. I’m sorry that she had to go through that, but I’m also a bit angry that she put others through the same. She was the adult.

@Lynx love the embossed cards!

@Reinikka are you interested in receiving ephemera? I think I have a box somewhere of random stuff from Finland.

2 Likes

How lucky am I to know such a cool bunch of people. You guys are the best, another lovely card today from @bluebird the card is really pretty, but there are scratch and sniff stickers!!! That takes me back. She also sent a fold and send letter, which really takes me back. Years and years (ok decades!) We used to buy aerograme letters, they were the same thing, for mailing letters overseas (pre-internet) they were light and strong and postage was included. Much cheaper to send a letter that way than a conventional stamp! You weren’t allowed send anything in them. That’s just triggered another memory, when I lived in London my mom used to occasionally send me the local paper- and sneak a letter inside, it was cheaper than mailing the letter!

I’m clearly older than dirt :rofl:

10 Likes

I recall the fold and mails as well from overseas mailings 100 years ago! They were more like typewriter paper meets vellum very thin and light weight but was much less expensive to mail correspondence back in the day!

I received a lovely birthday card from @bluebird and one of the embossed florals from @Lynx! Its beautiful! and Hey you’re just way ahead of the curve following a theme a month early! Call it prepared lol

5 Likes

I have a happy mail casualty. Just posting so the sender knows I received the envelope :slight_smile: But unfortunately 3 of the 4 sides were split open and there was nothing in it and no return address. But the thought still makes it happy mail!

it went through Syracuse.

2 Likes

@bugaboo and @edel…love your stories…isn’t it funny how certain things trigger such strong memories that were shoved way back in the brain?

Oh, no @geekgirl! I recognize the paper as being from the same stack @bugaboo and I laughed over! I believe it was from her…one edge of mine was cut as well but taped over…I wonder what happened for it to be split so evenly like that…maybe it got stuck in the cancellation machine and they split it to get it out? So sad!

@Lynx I swear mail to Alaska is so speedy…your mom got mail before Florida did and that is just down the road!

1 Like

My envelope from @Bugaboo was also partly split; weird. What a bummer yours was missing the contents!

2 Likes

Mine was almost completely split as well, but it arrived sealed in a plastic envelope and it still had the card! I thought it happened on our side while going through customs, but apparantly not. Not sure what they did in Syracuse to destroy all those pretty envelopes.

1 Like

There might be a postal conspiracy against Happy Mail because mine from @Renstar was also split and put in a plastic bag, but it looks like everything she sent is still in there… weird

Oh yes! That would be wonderful :heart: I think I have some random book pages in Finnish from a swap many years ago but I haven’t used them because I don’t want them to be gone :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

One of mine was split but not enough for the contents to fall out.

Now I’m going to reinforce everything!!!

2 Likes

@Edel — Interesting! I hadn’t heard of aerograme letters before! That sure sounds like the precursor to the fold and send stationery. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Akkk what is the Syracuse processing center doing to my envelopes???

Ok well good to know back to the drawing board on creating them!!!

2 Likes

I think maybe if you put in things other than “documents” the cancellation machine is destroying them! I usually put them in a little bag and tape them inside the card toward the bottom. If the items inside get stuck in the machines, they will destroy it…

So sad, because your cards are so darn cute!!!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, mine was torn too! But these things were still inside. Cute! I’m glad they didn’t escape on the way :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I got the card and super cute bird, but the envelope had rips - for no good reason. And such a pretty envelope too!

If I send extras I’m just gonna add extra tape. That’s my new thing!!

2 Likes

I received a great postcard from @Ewulotta showing some famous landmarks and the cathedral of Cologne! Thank you! :blush:

21hmepdlnwcbg

I also received a letter from @jemimah with a beautiful decorated envie! :smiley:
21hmjwccbbsfh

She also sent me these lovelies too! And some of her beautiful artwork! I love them! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you so much! :blush:
21hmjwccbbsfh2

7 Likes

I received a short friendly letter from @Whistlefish and a lovely envelope of goodies from @Renstar. I’ll try to get some pictures of that later this weekend.

Thank you both!

3 Likes

2 batches of letters today, this morning & after work. I’m writing some more tonight, I love this!

4 Likes

I got a lovely notecard from @Bunny1kenobi today!

So cool because the background appears to be yet another magical master board!! And, it appears to be painted on junk mail! Bonus!

Thanks!

7 Likes

I received from @susieoregon today, including one of her crocheted bookmarks! Photos this weekend; I just wanted her to know it landed safely.

7 Likes

What a beautiful collection of birds…the black one is gorgeous!

3 Likes