Hard bound sketchbook with cats

I made this book for a swap. This is the first time I tried to make a book an actual size. I was going for A5. Before this book I was only vaguely aware that’s that is a thing. This is also the first time I attempted to cut down/ shave down the signatures to make the edge flat. This had only limited success. It worked ok when it was clamped but my binding was a little weak and they got uneven and a little wobbly.

I chose black fabric with cats, a polka dotted button and I snipped off just a smidge of ribbon from another hand bound book I have and added it to this one because it was too perfect with the cats and button! I did get glue everywhere and it left splotches on the cover. But hopefully it makes the sketchbook less precious and more useable!

31 Likes

Ooh this is lovely. I share your pain with shaving down the paper edges. But I’ve come to the conclusion that looking handmade is better than machine cut.

3 Likes

I love handmade journals and journal covers…as @edel said, if you want “perfect” you can buy a journal at the store…I love knowing that someone put some thought into it and figured things out and used what they had…I love it all, from the kitty fabric to the wonky pages…well done!

1 Like

It looks great!
I’m in the no-perfect-paper-edges camp :smiley:

2 Likes

it looks great! love that fabric

1 Like

I feel so many of your comments. I’m still new to papering, so do a lot by hand.

I love your thinking about it not being ‘too precious’ to use. I have a whole personal theory about this…so PREACH!

Great work!

3 Likes

So cool! It turned out beautiful! Would love to try my hand at book binding someday. I find it intimidating.

1 Like

You had me at cats! And I am a huge notebook hoarder and user. I have ten beside me in use right now. Wow, I actually did a count and it is ten. I think I have a problem. LOL! Anyways, I love this. I love that fabrics. The entire thing looks amazing. I like that you make it to look “usable” too. Still looks perfect to me, though.

2 Likes

You are so talented! It is fabu!

1 Like

You’ve done an amazing job!

1 Like

Lovely!

1 Like

This is amazing!

1 Like

This is soo cool! I love the tie you chose to go along with it. It’s going to be a great little sketchbook.

1 Like

I love the coordinating button and ribbon! Book binding is on my list of things to try…someday, and I only hope I can make something that looks this nice.

Your craft is :fire:! That’s why it’s one of this week’s featured projects. Thanks for sharing it with us! :tada:

1 Like

What? Thanks! Wow!

2 Likes

Wonderful work, very professional looking!

It is so fantastic and I absolutely love it :heart: :open_book: I’m in awe of your bookbinding skills. I’m so lucky it’s mine!

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!

1 Like