Harry Potter Craftalong ~ Sept-Dec 2023

I think I posted about the same. Tried more to post when a project was finished now instead of waiting and make a dump. But I did that too, as I got very distracted there with xmas. I do miss the prompts. It is so fun to plan! But at the same time, its nice to just be able to post everything you have made without trying to fit into a prompt. I know there were the Headmistress prompts, but I had some difficult finding a craft that would fit, but thats just me.
But I know I post most in the HP-along, rather than the other alongs, even though I try to post there.
It do sounds good to have the term end at january so one have time to think before the term ends. I will definitly continue to join and post if you start another HP-along, but if you need a break you need a break, and thats totally okay.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve loved this along for ages. It can spark creativity when a prompt gives you an idea you wouldnā€™t have self-generated and it can be a mental puzzle to fit the projects one has made into the prompts for points lol.

Personally, Iā€™ve been a bit adrift in general for months just due to family stuff and job changes, etc., so Iā€™m hoping that 2024 is more settled and conducive to creating and crafting more regularly, being able to do swaps againā€¦

I know I read through every post that was made and feel I was less involved than usual, again that could be real life related more than anything here.

As for the HPC format, etc. Itā€™s hard to pin down, isnā€™t it? Itā€™s nice to be able to just plop a craft down without fitting it into anything, but also the prompts added to the world-building and ā€œmagicā€ theme of the thread. I know there were head mistress challenges, so not zero prompts, but maybe adding back in some class/wizarding world prompts for the theme and magic building along with the ā€œanything goesā€ style of this test run could be a way to go where the prompted posts are worth more points? Are the tallies a selling point? Maybe removing the points and instead one tries to complete a semester of prompts like a report card or bingo card? IDK. That runs into how to declare a house winner I suppose. If each house has only one or two players how do you mark it out for a winnerā€¦ ?

I think upping the world building a bit would be fun, the other big question is how many players will you have? If the numbers arenā€™t enough to make it chatty and vibrant then maybe it isnā€™t worth the work you have to do to make it function at a level higher than this? Itā€™s a conundrum. I feel like this was just a ramble of nonsense but hopefully something in this blarby wordiness was useful. :owl: :mage: :magic_wand:

4 Likes

I wanted to participate more, but life is chaotic, I never know what to say on othersā€™ posts other than ā€œthat looks amazing!ā€ (which is very true but also repetitive), and only sporadically remember to take pictures of what I make. That being said it was great to be back with the group! The HP Craftalong is what really got me into crafting back on the old site and has been a huge inspiration for me over the years.

I really enjoyed the prompts in the past and appreciated the ones we had this time around. But I know they are a lot of work to create and keep track of. If we wanted to low-key add in a few more prompting opportunities, maybe we could treat the classes more as ā€œindependent studies?ā€ We could start with a list of the standard classes and then we have to say how our project helped us learn about Divination or Numerology. It would bring back some of the storytelling elements while hopefully not over complicating the set-up and organization process.

3 Likes

What about jumping put of the castle and embracing the story world at-large? Like prompts for things to fit in to shops or places in the stories, ā€œgiftsā€ for characters (like, you make a nice kitchen accessory for a friend but the prompt story is that itā€™s for Mrs. Weasley or something?) kind of like a ā€œfake swapā€ using ideas like the I want to live in the burrow or Madam Malkins that we did before. just something that popped into my head just now.

5 Likes

Loving this idea!!!

1 Like

I would say I probably posted about the same or a little more than normal - there were definitely whole terms of the original setup where I just couldnā€™t handle the idea of ā€œfacingā€ the homework planner and never really got started, so the lower hurdle to entry was measurably better for me. But I donā€™t think having prompts alongside a lower pressure option would be a detriment - I like the idea of having the option but not the requirement to engage with the world building part. I will also say that my personal connection to the HP universe has waned somewhat in the intervening years, so that probably factors in as well.

If HPC didnā€™t come back, I would probably try to transition over to the 50 Projects thread, since that was my original everything-along when I joined the old site. I have the same problem where I donā€™t have time or brain space to post in multiple craftalongs for each medium - it has to either get dumped in one place or not at all. My crafting style is very ā€œooh, new shiny thingā€ so posting whatever actually gets finished versus following a list seems to work better for me.

I will also mention that the Advanced Studies does seem to be a unique thing that I donā€™t know where Iā€™d get the motivation to specifically work on those longer projects (not that itā€™s not possible, but just donā€™t know of an immediate translation). Hope this is useful!

2 Likes

I also found I missed the commentary from folks on their crafting process, in what would have been ā€˜Brief Descriptionā€™.

5 Likes

Ideas have been sparked, and now magical things are afootā€¦

5 Likes

Late to the party. For me I havenā€™t participated much, but thatā€™s no different to the previous few years. Life gets in the way a lot and as someone said, Iā€™m also probably a little less connected to the HP universe. I do miss the little descriptions of peopleā€™s work, but for me the homework prompt tended to be me fitting what Iā€™ve made into the description. Not sure Iā€™m adding to the discussion. But I want to see how grateful I am (as Iā€™m sure everyone is) for the monumental task that this craftalong is. @MistressJennie you are amazing. Xx

3 Likes

Iā€™m here. I lurk off and on. Work has been soul-sucking lately, so I havenā€™t participated much at all. I love to see what people are making. The ease of posting is certainly less intimidating, but the prompts were fun, too. Iā€™ve not been very active, though, so I donā€™t know that my input should be weighed much.