Harry Potter Craftalong ~ Sept-Dec 2023

~ ALL NEW Harry Potter Craftalong ~
~ September 1 - December 31 2023 ~

:sparkles: :steam_locomotive: :sparkles: :heart: :sparkles: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :mage: :sparkles: :unicorn: :sparkles: :books: :sparkles: :owl: :sparkles: :scroll: :sparkles: :telescope: :sparkles: :broom: :sparkles: :steam_locomotive: :sparkles: :heart: :sparkles: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :mage: :sparkles:

Welcome BACK to Hogwarts!

~ WHAT IS THE HP CRAFTALONG & HOW TO PARTICIPATE ~
The Harry Potter Craftalong (HPC) is a way to share your handcrafted magic, and a way to be inspired to fly towards greater creative heights. After a summer hiatus, we are testing out a new form of the Craftalong. In this streamlined version, you are encouraged to score points by posting your work quickly, as you complete projects. Each regular project is worth 10 points for your House Team!

Want to score even more? Lettuce Craft Challenge Entries, items for LC Craft Swaps, or charity creations, will all earn you 10 Bonus Points!

Want to test your creativity? Complete the monthly Headmistress Mission to earn 30 points!

And as always, if you catch the Golden Stitch by completing an Advanced Studies project, you earn 150 points!

While the Craftalong is HP themed, your crafts do not have to be! You may craft anything you wish. You may join anytime during a term, and participate as much, or as little as you wish. You choose your House, and all crafters are welcome here. You don’t need to ask to join the -Along, just jump right in. All projects should take a minimum of 30 minutes to make. At the end of each term we take an average of each House’s Points, and declare a winner!

~ HOW TO POST ~
To encourage folks to submit more often, I’ve adjusted the submission header. You should be able to type this without cutting & pasting, from your phone. If you post more than one project at a time, you may just do the Title for each additional item, without repeating House & other info. As always, a photo is required. (Please do BOLD your project titles though, to help me catch them all.)

Project Title:
House:
LC Contest or Swap Item or Charity Item: If your item is an entry for a contest here on LC, or for an LC Craft Swap, enter that here; if not please delete this line.

5 Likes

:sparkles: :steam_locomotive: :sparkles: :heart: :sparkles: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :mage: :sparkles: :unicorn: :sparkles: :books: :sparkles: :owl: :sparkles: :scroll: :sparkles: :telescope: :sparkles: :broom: :sparkles: :steam_locomotive: :sparkles: :heart: :sparkles: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :mage: :sparkles:

December Headmistress Mission
:candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie: :candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie: :candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie: :candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie: :candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie: :candle: :evergreen_tree: :snowflake: :gift: :cookie:

Many of us are gearing up for holiday events and celebrations. Parties with family, or coworkers seem endless. We’re sending cards and wrapping gifts, and remembering at the last minute that we need something for that neighbor who always helps watch the house when your away, etc. etc. This month your mission is to craft a batch of something. Whatever it is, you need to make several of them, at the same time, as one project. For example, you could make a set of 20 holiday cards to send to everyone on your list, or 10 jars of Friendship Soup Mix for the neighbors on your street. You can of course, also bake a batch of something, such as a batch of brownies or cookies or other treats to share.

4 Likes

~ House Points ~

:lion: :heart: Gryffindor :heart: :lion:
Mistress Jennie Meetup Tumblers, Scrappy Potholders(+Bonus) , Scrappy Koozies, Scrappy Cord Holder, Scrappy Zip Pouches, Oval Silk Trivet, Small Silk Bowl, Large Silk Bowl, Medium Silk Bowl, Silk Coasters, Purple Trivet, Purple Cord Catchers(+Bonus), Scrappy Dishcloth(+Bonus), Memory Quilts, Uniform Pillow, Wool Pillow, Memory Loveys, Hanucat Aprons, Christmas Aprons, Christmas Potholders, Cookie Mixes, Cocoa Mixes, Seasoning Blends, Pirate Potholders & Trivet, Scrunchies of Holding, Cloth Napkins, Open Wide Pouches for MIL, Open Wide Pouches for Nieces, Framed Rabbit Prints, Holiday Porch Decorations, Boxing Day Casserole, Nana’s Cranberry Bread, Pinafore Apron, Thankful Basket, Mermaid Dolls,

:badger: :yellow_heart: Hufflepuff :yellow_heart: :badger:
fishstix43 Raspberry Jam, Special Scrap Zipper Pouch, Unicorn Ami, Octopus Ami, Scrunchies
Moonflame
skrutt Small Badger, Smaller Badger, Small Badger #2, Pot-Polarbear, Tunisian Potholder, Celeste the Elephant, Chinese Dragon, Scrap Socks, Nephew Socks, Resisty, Socks for Brother, Fingerless Mittens for Mum, Polar Bear, Small Capybara, Niffler for Edel, Tiny Hen, Bunny in a hat, Sausage Dog, Patches for Bestie, Mushroom Happened, Another Mushroom, On Purpose Mushroom, Dragon in Egg,
Trillian Brown Varigated Sweater, Pint Size Dishcloths, HEAD-Sept, Snowflake Dresses, Scarf Shirt Portector,

:eagle: :blue_heart: Ravenclaw :blue_heart: :eagle:
Edel: Eye Painting, Nose Painting, Kinky Boots Paintings,
jellybean Nessie, Guinea Pig, Bulky Hats,

:snake: :green_heart: Slytherin :green_heart: :snake:
AntBee Fingerless Gloves, Pink Fingerless Gloves, Winter Speckle Gloves, Black Speckle Gloves, Gold Gloves, White Ballet Shrug, Green Ballet Shrug
CraftsUntold
tendstowardschaos Skyscape #1, Skyscape #2, Skyscape #3, Skyscape #4, Bath Poof, Meteorite Hat, Red/Blue Hat, Wrappuccino, Plaid Tunic, Mille Cardigan, Vanilla Socks, Dark Grey Yarn, Rosy Wrist Warmers, Slouchiest Beanie, Pocket Frog 2.0, Striped Raglan Sweater, Flag Raglan Sweater, Patriotic Musselburgh, Knitted Dishcloths, Patriotic Socks, Christmas Beer Mitts,

~ Point Totals ~
:lion: Gryffindor: 1 students, 590 points, for an average of 590 points per student.
:badger: Hufflepuff: 4 students, 540 points, for an average of 135 points per student.
:eagle: Ravenclaw: 2 students, 60 points, for an average of 30 points per student.
:snake: Slytherin: 2 students, 570 points, for an average of 285 points per student.

Project Title:
House:
LC Contest or Swap Item:

1 Like

:mortar_board:~ Advanced Studies ~:mortar_board:

Advanced Studies are more complex and challenging projects, that may carry over between Terms. There is no hard rule on how many hours a project should take, because speed and difficulty levels are subjective. What we are really looking for is a project that will be a personal challenge to you. That being said Advanced Studies should generally take 3-4 weeks to complete. Please propose your Advanced Studies before starting, so you can hold yourself accountable on such a big task. After proposing, you can start crafting right away.

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name:
House:
Brief Description:

Your proposed project will be added to the ongoing list of proposed Advanced Studies. You may only work on 2 Advanced Studies project at a time. If you decide to abandon and Advanced Studies project, please let the Headmistress know. Share progress pics in the thread at any time!

Once your project is complete, post a picture of your project in the HPC using the header provided below

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House:
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description:

Each completed Advanced Studies project you post will earn your House 150 points!

~ ADVANCED STUDIES LOG ~

Proposals

:lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Abbeeroad: Everyday Raglan, April 20, 2022

:badger: Hufflepuff :badger:
fishstix43: Camp Dress Pattern, January 23, 2023
Moonflame: Muggle Studies, Feb 10, 2018 (reinstated January 14, 2022)
Moonflame: 1:24 Scale Room, Sept 6, 2023
plaidpineapple: Wool Coat, February 21, 2022
plaidpineapple: Irish Chain Quilt, March 27, 2022

:eagle: Ravenclaw :eagle:
jellybean: Arithmancy (Too Cool T-shirt Quilts) February 7, 2019 (reinstated February 3, 2023)

:snake: Slytherin :snake:
CraftsUntold: 1Up Quilted wall hanging, September 7, 2022
CraftsUntold: Chair Glow Up, May 9, 2023
imera: Case of Happiness, February 2, 2022
melg78: Yellow Gingham Blanket, May 29, 2022
tendstowardschaos: Starry Batik Quilt, February 3, 2023

:tada:Completed:tada:
tendstowardschaos: Cottage Core Anniversary Quilt

2 Likes

Project Title: LC Midwest Meetup Tumblers
House: Gryffindor!

I made a set of 9 of these tumblers, for everyone who attended the Midwest Meetup. Sadly, I forgot to get a shot of all of them. I still have endymion’s, because she wasn’t able to attend after all, and we haven’t had a chance to meet up so I can give it to her yet.

2 Likes

Yay! A new term! Thanks for bringing it back.

Quick question: I finished up an advanced studies project during the break. Do I post it for this semester, or should we just remove it from my proposal list?

3 Likes

You can post it now. In fact folks can feel free to post any items they made over our HPC break!

3 Likes

Ooh, I’m really intrigued by this new format! Here’s hoping I can participate this semester - I’ve really missed being part of the HPC but there is just too much going on in life to keep track of prompts and timelines for the most part.

1 Like

I’m hoping that changing the format will make it easier to post projects. Hopefully you can do it in a spare moment, between other tasks, rather than setting aside an hour or so to post 20 things at once. And I’m hoping that more frequent posts (rather than project dumps), will encourage folks to interact by commenting more.

5 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Anniversary Quilt
Brief Description: This quilt was made for my parents-in-law, as a gift for their 61st wedding anniversary. The lovely fabrics were two charm packs gifted to me by the wonderful AudiobookLover in the quilt-along. The pattern was also part of that gift. My MIL used to quilt, but I don’t know that she ever made one for herself.

7 Likes

Congratulations @tendstowardschaos on finishing such an awesome Advanced Studies project! It’s truly lovely.

1 Like

As a note, I removed older Advanced Studies projects, and kept just the ones from 2022 and onward. However, I do have the record of previous ones. If you have an older one you wish to revive, just let me know, and I can add it back into our list!!!

1 Like

A few things I finished over the break:

Project Title: Crochet Nessie
House: Ravenclaw

I crocheted a Nessie using this pattern (Ravelry link) as a gift!

~

Project Title: Crochet Tiny Guinea Pig

This little guinea pig was also crocheted as a gift! I used this pattern (Ravelry link).

~

Project Title: Bulky Knit Hats

I used up almost all of my super bulky yarn making some hats! I meant to try out different patterns, but ended up using this pattern for all of them: Fireside Chevron Hat.

7 Likes

That hat pattern is so cute!

2 Likes

Ooh! How nice! This format will be fun to try! Need to look at my list to see what I have done during the summer break. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I worked on a lot of larger projects over the break, but here’s what I finished.

Project Title: Watercolor Skyscape #1
LC Contest or Swap Item: 4"x6" Art Swap

Project Title: Watercolor Skyscape #2

Project Title: Watercolor Skyscape #3

Project Title: Watercolor Skyscape #4

Project Title: Crochet Bath Pouf

Project Title: Meteorite’s Delight Musselburgh hat

Project Title: Red/Blue Musselburgh Hat

Project Title: Wrappuccino Shawlette

Project Title: Plaid Button-Down Tunic

Project Title: MILLE Cardigan

Project Title: Vanilla Socks

5 Likes

Nessie is adorable, and those hats look so warm and cozy!

1 Like

Your watercolor skyscapes are truly lovely, and you’ve been knitting up a storm! The cardigan and socks are amazing.

1 Like

Thank you!

I can’t seem to stop knitting. It’s my new obsession, which is funny because the first time I tried to learn, I didn’t like it. I haven’t really crocheted much of anything for over a year now…two bath poufs, that’s it. Knitting is just so much easier on my joints, and it uses less yarn. Right now, I’m trying to get my Christmas knitting done in time - I have a hat and sweater on the needles, and two pairs of socks, a sweater, and another hat or two planned. :person_shrugging: Obsessed.

1 Like

I have some projects during the summer. More than I thought. :slight_smile:

Project Title: Small badger
House: Hufflepuff
I wanted a friend for when Im going camping, like a mascot. And this is the first one I made.
IMG_20230601_211720091

Project Title: Smaller badger
I thought the first badger was too big, so I made a smaller one. Here they are side by side.

Project Title: Another small badger
And while Im on it, why not make a third badger?

Project Title: Pot-polarbear
I signed up for a test-crochet, and made a small amigurumi pot-animal. :slight_smile:
IMG_20230611_105125448

Project Title: Tunisian crochet potholder
Mum liked the potholders I made for myself last year, so this year she will get a pair as a birthday gift. And here I tried making stripes, which worked very well.
IMG_20230608_145418349

Project Title: Celeste the Elephant (from Babar)
Mum asked for a Celeste for herself earlier this year, and I made one. And now she wanted one to give to her good friend, who also likes Babar, so I made one for her.

Project Title: Tiny chinese dragon
Wanted to make an easy, small dragon. Was he easy? That is up for debate. Short rows and such. The crochet went pretty fast, but the assembly… Well, he is done now, and Im so pleased with him! He is staying with me!

And thats my projects up to date. From now on, its just newly finished for me! :smiley: (So I hope this craftalong will help with the UFOs too)

4 Likes