‘Help Lengthening A Dress” Finally Done

It took three different fabric inserts, three different trims and an entire spool of thread, but I finally finished this dress!

Thanks to @AIMR for suggesting an insert & reminding me to have a slit so I could actually walk. And to @Bunny1kenobi for suggesting using a more casual lace.

I dyed the two lace trims - the polyester thread in the wider lace didn’t take the dye but that gives it a suitably casual look to go with the denim.

Reverse of the wider lace:

First attempt - too dark.

Second attempt - similar denim, but not quite right.

The final insert was the right colour but was too light-weight, OK, add two layers of interfacing. The white interfacing could probably be visible when walking or sitting. So, add a lining to the insert…

Everything was from stash…

This dress probably is one of my top ‘Most Use of a Seam Ripper’ projects.

12 Likes

That looks beautiful, great job!

1 Like

Oh, that does look beautiful, really so nice.

1 Like

I’m imagining you being given a gold statue for “Best Use of a Seam Ripper”! It turned out really nice. Everything looks very cohesive.

1 Like

This turned out so well!! I love the lace, and I love that you dyed it!

1 Like

WOW! It turned out fantastic! It just looks so customized with the new details! You also took care of some pretty good construction details…like the lining to cover the interfacing…beautiful job.

I would wear the heck out of this one!

2 Likes

Looks great! I love that you used the lace as insertion, instead of just an edge. May steal that idea!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

@endymion > I’m imagining you being given a gold statue for “Best Use of a Seam Ripper”!

‘I want to thank Electrolux Vacuums for their help picking up the mounds of thread. And apologies to my neighbours for the excessive swearing…’ :grinning:

3 Likes

so pretty! well done!!

1 Like

Thanks!

Wow! This looks so elegant-casual, and I would assume you’d gotten it from a boutique. Beautiful!