Help Me Eat Less Meat

I do that too, just to get rid of all the zucchini that grows in my garden! I always underestimate how many of them will grow from one plant… I eat a LOT of soups for lunch and many tasty soups are vegetarian. If you have soup-lovers in your family, they will probably eat a vegetable soup with some good bread for dinner without any complaints.

One of my favourite soups in winter is spiced zucchini soup. I make this in large batches during summer and freeze them for winter lunches. The recipe is just zucchini + vegetable stock + any kind of spices to taste, my favourite is garam masala.

3 Likes

Yes! Great suggestion you guys. I’m going to just start shredding veggies into everything! :laughing:

Soup is on a weekly rotation for us. It’s so versatile. That spiced zucchini soup sounds great. And you’re totally right. Even Mr. Road happily eats veggies in soup!

4 Likes

My husband will eat anything if it’s spicy and flavorful.
His favorite is Thai curry made with commercial curry paste. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044PYPVC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A12MHWRMI5TZVV&psc=1
I just noticed that one has shrimp paste in it, perhaps there are vegetarian versions.

If he complains a dish isn’t flavorful enough, I tell him, “Shut up and eat your slop,” and hand him the hot chili oil.

2 Likes

He sounds a lot like my husband! The spicier the better…we have all sorts of curries, chilies, etc. He recently took up Asian cooking and has blended his own spices and oils…I am getting him a rolling cart to hold everything because I just don’t have room for all of the things he wants to cook with!

I got him a case of Bachan’s gluten free sauce that he uses as a base for many of his concoctions!

4 Likes

lolz. THAT is my husbeast to a TEE. anytime i make a veggie soup or other thing without meat. ha.

1 Like

I’ve been working on just this topic in an effort to lower my cholesterol and continue my slow but steady weight loss.

Today I tried something new: Artichoke and Mushroom Taco Lasagna. It was delicious!

4 Likes

Dinner tonight, Veggie taco salad

The chick pea/walnut ground “beef” is tasty though more like falafel than meat. Maybe if it were crumbled up more. The texture is pretty good though. We left out the black beans, those aren’t friendly to my belly :tada: :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yum!!

Seriously. That looks/sounds so good. Going to try!

1 Like

I do egg roll in a bowl using chicken or shrimp…or even scrambled eggs…it is relatively healthy and sure is filling…I don’t think kids know it is mostly cabbage, especially if you sprinkle some crispy noodles on top!

4 Likes

I am going to follow because my middle child (she is eight) declared herself a vegetarian more than a year ago now and I still struggle with what to make that is healthy and yummy for her and us. As a family we are not discontinuing meat, but I am okay with reducing it if I can find other things to have instead that everyone likes.

4 Likes

That is the ultimate challenge!

@AIMR - we just did egg roll in a bowl last week. I used ground pork but I wonder if I can use something else. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about that crumble from last night all morning, it was good! Just the right moisture & light oiliness for a tender mouth-feel. It was very meat-like in texture, it would sub well in spring/egg roll I think. I’d be curious to try it out without telling anybody to see if they noticed. Gotta be careful of nut allergies of course but I haven’t been feeding strangers lately.

2 Likes

Yes!!! Good call.

For a good ‘meat-light’ option, I like using a little prosciutto on top of risotto or salads. It’s so flavorful, that you kinda forget it’s like 1 oz serving of meat, compared to a more standard 4 oz.

Crispy Prosciutto Lettuce Cups - I made the recipe as described when Blue Apron sent it to me, but since then, I’ve remade it tons of times, as a salad instead of lettuce cups. The ‘cups’ just fall apart and leave you holding a mess in your hands. So instead I rip up the lettuce, and put a base layer of that on the plates, then top with the rice and marinated veggies. (I don’t stir the peppers into the rice. Just marinate them for a few minutes in the vinegar so they’re still crisp.)

2 Likes

I made this for lunches this week (with my own variations due to what was in stock): https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/white_bean_and_tuna_salad/

You could easily miss out the tuna IMO because it kind of flaked into teeny tinyness that you barely notice.

Added home made guacomole and a spanish tortilla. Yum

2 Likes

Here’s the pressed tofu I was talking about.

It comes in big folded sheets.

The texture is very firm & chewy.

Like all tofu, it doesn’t have a strong flavour & picks up whatever taste from the seasoning.

Kids like this stuff, it can be cut into any shape!

6 Likes

Interesting!!

I am going to look for that pressed tofu sheet when I go to the Asian market this weekend!

I have pinned or printed out a lot of the recipes…I am getting a bit bored with my meal delivery and eating take out or hubby’s comfort foods made in mass quantities!

1 Like

That baked tofu recipe is very similar to how I bake mine. Turns out nice and crispy. I’ve even done variation with no spices and no oil and then put the tofu in a peanut sauce. It was still flavorful.

1 Like