Help Me Eat Less Meat

I don’t think there’s actual brain in it, if that’s any consolation! It’s made from a boiled pig’s head and heart - so there’s rind, tongue, cheeks, heart but no brains. The whole head is boiled for hours and hours with some spices, meat is pulled off the bones, ground, then boiled with the organ meat and more spices and vinegar.

The other day I had pumpkin, cabbage and carrot stamppot. Stamppot is the classic Dutch winter dish - 50% boiled vegetables, 50% boiled potatoes, mashed together. For this dish the veggies were semi-equal amounts of carrot, pumpkin and green cabbage that I boiled for about 10 minutes. I added a little bit of milk when I mashed everything together (but any liquid will do) and I added a bit of mustard and two tablespoons of curry powder. It may or may not look appealing, depending on how used you are to eating mashed potatoes and veggies, but it tasted nice.

5 Likes

It looks fantastic to me. That other thing sounds horribly unappealing, yuck!

This looks delicious!

2 Likes

Mmm…the curry and mustard additions sound super yum, @Immaculata!

@MistressJennie - that wreath is so right up my alley! :yum:

1 Like

I skimmed this pretty quick (will have to go back and get recipes later when I have more time)

I didn’t see these …
one of my favorite cookbooks are The Thug Kitchen books
Recipes | Bad Manners - website
WARNING: IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY PROFANITY DO NOT GO HERE

[It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken • Easy Vegan https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/
THIS ONE IS SAFE …NOTHING OFFENSIVE HERE

3 Likes

The CBC is so great. Here are links to recipes for 30 warming soups & stews, lots of veg options.

3 Likes

More veg recipes from the CBC!

Yum!! I’ve been meaning to try out a biryani. :thinking:

I did recently swap my favorite chicken kati roll for a paneer kati roll at our local Indian Street Food restaurant and I’ll never look back. So good.

3 Likes

I’ve got this in the crockpot right now and it smells so good in here.

6 Likes

Yes! Very interested in the soy sauce/tamari addition and what it adds flavor-wise.

2 Likes

My guess is it provides an umami/savory flavor and is used in place of Worcestershire sauce which has anchovies in it. Although I know there are vegan Worcestershire sauces out there. Annie’s makes one. I used it in a vegetarian cottage pie before.

4 Likes

Pretty much exactly what Carlee said. Soy sauce is pretty common in vegan recipes so we always keep some as part of our basic pantry supplies.

3 Likes

Ah. Makes sense! I don’t put Worcestershire in my pot pie so that didn’t even occur to me. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

There’s also Bragg’s amino acids, another sort of tamari style liquid with a more complex flavour. Don’t believe the health-food hype about it, it’s still just a salty sauce, lol. Bit different from soy though if you’re looking for options.

4 Likes

I see a lot of recipes call for coconut aminos too. I assumed was in the same camp.

1 Like

Same thing

1 Like

Successful family dinner last night!

I mean, the kids don’t count, lol.

I also recently attempted a lentil meatloaf (I left out the crumbles), but wasn’t crazy about the results. Anyone have a recipe they like for this?

3 Likes

This is the lentil loaf I make. I don’t think the Magical Loaf Studio site exists anymore unfortunately. You used to be able to select the ingredients you had and it would generate a recipe for you.

3 Likes

Thank you! I am definitely going to give this a try!

3 Likes

I made this for dinner last night:

I thoroughly enjoyed and Mr. Road…ate it, lol. I’ll call it a win.

4 Likes