Help Me Eat Less Meat

Ok, new question for everyone…

What are you go-to eat out selections? I know some restaurants cater to veg diets, but some…do not. I am traveling for work a lot more now and find myself eating fish because the veg options are frustrating. Anyone have any tips and tricks?

1 Like

Freshii, do you have that in the US? There’s one across the street from my office so I have lunch from there now & again. Nice grain or noodle bowls with lovely fresh veggies, sauces & protein options.

1 Like

My sister @Lulu made the tastiest zucchini mousaka yesterday, omg we all ate way, way too much. It had ground beef in the tomato sauce but could have been made with brown lentils, crushed chickpeas, or that walnut taco “meat”. It was seriously delicious

2 Likes

We do have a Freshii! I looked them up after you mentioned them previously.

I mean more like when you find yourself at a steakhouse for a work function and the only vegetarian option is a plate of roasted vegetables… :unamused:

2 Likes

When I travel I try to make sure my hotel room has a microwave and fridge and usually go to the grocery store to pick up some staples after I arrive. For restaurants, I always look at the menu beforehand to know what options are available. If I am going out with a group and can’t pick the restaurant, I usually get something relatively simple (pasta and red sauce, hummus and veggies, or even a couple sides like veggies and potatoes to make a “meal”). I try to make sure I’m getting a balance of foods throughout the day which makes the group dinners less of an issue.

My goto if needed is Starbucks. I can get a soy latte, oatmeal, and usually other small vegan snacks to help tide me over. I also make sure I have snacks in my purse (e.g. trailmix, clifbar, etc). Other chain restaurants that work well - Chipotle, Native Foods, any Mediterranean restaurant, etc.

4 Likes

Good point on just keeping myself full aside from that one meal! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ohh, I gotcha. Since I eat everything, that will be a meat meal of the day for me. We tend to eat a lot of veg at home, what many others consider excessive, lol. So restaurants are a time I get to eat whatever looks tastiest and I’d likely never make for myself at home.

In previous vegetarian years, I would have customized a salad or had several sides. Outrageously, that can end up costing more than an ordinary dinner which seems grossly unfair to me. Like, really, a side salad, potato, broccoli, and some dip is more than a steak? Okkkaaayyy.

2 Likes

I was going to say “most restaurants are ok these days, except maybe steakhouses or burger places”. But yes, steakhouses are an issue. Maybe you could order a few sides instead of an entire meal? Fries, a side salad, maybe corn on the cob.

Many Italian restaurants here have good vegetarian options. Italian is mainstream enough, I can imagine some less adventurous eaters may not want to try an Indian or Ethiopian restaurant. These days I think many burger places also serve veggie burgers but I wouldn’t be too happy if I had to eat a veggie burger every night.

I really don’t get why restaurants wouldn’t serve vegetarian food in this day and age. You can even get veggie options at KFC these days!

3 Likes

@Magpie - it’s that a la cart menu that gets you!

@Immaculata - I know right? Get with the times, people!

The steakhouse was a recent exception. Our work functions are usually buffet-style and I’m able to pick the stuff I want and avoid the rest. I actually prefer that to the alternate meal you get if you select vegetarian. It’s always a roasted vegetable sandwich, and it’s not very good. I’d much prefer to eat salad and a couple sides!

2 Likes

Have you tried scallion pancakes? They are seriously satisfying savory snacks. I absolutely love them & could eat just that for dinner.
Check out these Pancake recipes, scroll down to pajeon. Lots of savory recipes after that too. Nom!

Ooo. I love scallion pancakes but have never made them at home. Will have to try!

1 Like

That mushroom coffee dutchbaby has me salivating too. Nom nom nom!

I made a veggie Wellington for Easter dinner with the in-laws. It came out pretty good!

4 Likes

Oh, that looks tasty! I’m going to save that recipe. Did the family mind eating a vegetarian dinner?

1 Like

Oh there was still ham, lol. A couple family members tried my wellington, but it was definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. I use group meals/gatherings as an excuse to make veg dishes I would love, but that no one else in my house would eat. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@Abbeeroad, that Wellington sounds delicious. I’m jealous!

2 Likes

Thanks Jennie! It was pretty good. I wish I could send you some!

1 Like

I’ve decided that I need to find the (subjective) best veggie burger recipe. Burgers were one of my all time favorite foods, and frozen veggie burgers are not cutting it. I’ve had some really good ones over the years, but have yet to make one that I would really call my favorite.

Last night I did a black bean recipe. It was pretty good! But I will continue this journey…

If you have a go-to veggie burger recipe, I’d love to give it a try!

3 Likes

I’ll be following along as I have yet to find a great recipe for one. Usually they taste pretty good but fall apart easily and need to cook them on the stove vs the grill. Some of the frozen ones are pretty good but I’d also like to find a good recipe for them.

3 Likes

Which frozen ones do you like? So far I don’t mind the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean. I am not a fan of Dr. Praeger’s.

1 Like