Help Me Eat Less Meat

Oooo…that looks delicious!

2 Likes

Just picked up the ingredients to make homemade taco pizza for dinner tonight. I used to make it all the time but haven’t done it in a couple years so I’m looking forward to it. I’m already drooling thinking about it :joy:

Not sure where I got the recipe, it’s been in my recipe binder for well over a decade.

5 Likes

Sounds delicious!

I have some leftover Lebanese flatbread, maybe I could use it up by using it as a pizza base. Hadn’t thought of that before. Our grocery delivery accidentally contained two packs of flatbread instead of one, which is quite a happy accident, but it has to be used up quickly.

3 Likes

Ugh. After a week of vacation eating, I’m ready for my normal menu again!

I also discovered that Boca burgers are a no for me. I have been meaning to try Bubba veggie burgers - they have a few different varieties that sound promising!

Going to try marinating some chickpeas to replace the chicken in one of my favorite recipes for dinner tonight. I have swapped the chicken for falafel before, but I think this variation could work!

3 Likes

Rob made roasted crunchie chick peas, they are meh to be honest. Very dry and powdery. I need a good crunchy snack, kale chips are not a fave. I read zucchini can be sliced very thin and oven crisped or dehydrated, I’m going to try it.

1 Like

Seaweed snacks maybe? They’re more crispy than crunchy, but I like them.

1 Like

The kids like seaweed, I’m not a fan.

There are so many gorgeous recipes here, lots of veggie options. More links at the bottom too.

2 Likes

I love seaweed in all its forms. Mmmm….

1 Like

I’ve actually found one version I don’t like - Crispy seaweed snack rolls. Sugar is what keeps the shape and makes them shiny and crispy. I just don’t like that they are so sweet. Seaweed snacks are in a savoury snacks to me, so it tasted wrong. I’m ok with a bit of sweet taste in the flavouring, but those rolls were just too much.

1 Like

I agree…I expect seaweed to be savory! I make seaweed salad, and although the recipe calls for sweet chili sauce, I use a regular chili sauce and like it better!

Just came here to see check out recipes…I suspended my HelloFresh subscription for a few weeks and need ideas for evening meals…Jim cooks four of them so I need to do my part and find meals for three nights, well, two really, since one is take out night!

I see some good ones here!

3 Likes

Having been exploring here for over a year now here are some of my go-to recipes that I make over and over and are now regularly in rotation:

Sweet and sour chickpeas
Lentil tacos
Indian samosa pie
Chickpea tikka masala
Vegetarian fajitas
Spicy Thai noodles

Now that fall is fast approaching I’m looking forward to reintroducing soups and chilis into our dinner options!

6 Likes

We had flat beans mashed with potatoes tonight (snijbonenstamppot in Dutch). It’s a traditional Dutch dish so I’m not sure if it sounds very appetising lol. I hadn’t had flat beans since I was a kid, it’s a very old school vegetable and I remembered not liking them very much because they can have tough strings. I bought them anyway because they were cheap and it turns out modern cultivars don’t have those tough strings anymore.

Recipe for 2 people:
500 gr. potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
400 gr. flat beans, cut into strips
a little bit of milk, butter or anything to make it more creamy. I added 50gr of cream cheese because that’s what I have.
I also added a bit of mustard for flavouring, alternatively you can also use curry powder. Both are absolutely not traditional but otherwise it’s too bland for me.

Throw everything in a big pot. Boil 15 minutes. Drain water from pot. Mash together, add the creamy stuff. We served them with veggie meatballs. I usually buy Garden Gourmet brand veggie meatballs, because when I was a child that was one of the only vegetarian meat replacements on the market and they make me feel really nostalgic. But last week, the Vivera brand was on discount so I bought those instead. I still prefer Garden Gourmet for nostalgia reasons but Mr. Imma had to ask me whether these were veggie or not. They were clearly not homemade meatballs but he wasn’t able to distinguish them from pre-cooked meatballs.

2 Likes

We call those Italian beans where I live. I remember as a child having to “unstring” them on the porch. It was not my favorite job, but I liked it better than peeling potatoes! lol

@Abbeeroad thanks for the quick links! The chickpea tikka masala is one of my favorites!

2 Likes

I wonder if that’s what we used to call broad beans. My grandparents would grow them.

3 Likes

I hated broad beans even more than flat beans as a kid! Maybe I should revisit those as well, maybe they’re not as bad?

1 Like

Fava beans…ick…I really don’t like those at all…they are round and hard to me…but maybe, as an adult, I would like them…although I doubt it…I have tried brussel sprouts every which way and still can’t eat them…most beans, I like a lot…they have to be softened or no go!

2 Likes

I still only like Brussels sprouts covered in apple sauce, that’s one thing that hasn’t changed since I was 5. We eat them because Mr. Imma loves them.

1 Like

Found these at the grocery store last night, they’re so good! They remind me of a pumpkin spiced molasses cookie

And yes, I’m eating cookies at 9 o’clock in the morning

5 Likes

I made these eggplant meatballs yesterday for dinner with the in-laws. They were soo good!! I can’t wait to do meatball subs with the leftovers!

4 Likes

Black bean sliders tonight based loosely on this recipe.

5 Likes