Help Me Eat Less Meat

I successfully cooked tofu for lunch today! Woohoo.

I put it in a quesadilla:

Delish!

6 Likes

This was on sale at Target for $4 when I was there the other day so I thought I’d give it a try for a quick lunch. Most frozen meals are usually lacking flavor but this was surprisingly delicious!

3 Likes

I did see that Target was coming out with a new plant based line with Tabitha Brown. I was interested in trying some of the options!

1 Like

Interesting dinner tonight. The red pepper sauce was delicious!

1 Like

That sounds good.

1 Like

I do a similar sauce for pasta dishes. yum

1 Like

Flipping through my cookbooks looking for a muffin recipe and saw this. Another reason not to use animal products! :joy:

ETA - I followed the directions :smiley:

4 Likes

Lunch yesterday & today, very satisfying!

Kale, cabbage, parsley salad with beet bean dip
Romaine, cabbage, parsley salad with hummus & carrot quickles
Both had parsley sauce & roasted pumpkin seeds.

3 Likes

Those look delicious! I have been doing the salad kits for lunch because I am lazy, lol. I’m so impressed with your home-made sauces and condiments.

1 Like

The bean based dips, seeds & sauces really make a difference. Tasty, filling, great at mid-day!

Picked this up from Trader Joe’s this week, it was delicious!

4 Likes

This week’s TJ’s find, so good

3 Likes

Ooo…nice find @photojenn!

I made this for a Superb Owl (yes, that’s what our friends called it!) Party on Sunday.

It was just ok. I did use leftovers in a quesadilla today and it was good.

I might try this one next time, but with far less cheese:

Also! I put sundried tomato pesto and quinoa in my egg this morning and have a killer jalapeno hot sauce that goes great on everything. The sauces really help me not miss cheese!

5 Likes

Swapped in lentils and veg broth in one of my fave comfort food recipes. Did not disappoint!

6 Likes

I just got this cookbook after following her on Instagram and I’ve never been more excited about a cookbook (which is saying a lot as my collection is over 70). I usually consider a cookbook a success if at least 25-30% of the recipes look good but flipping through this one and I couldn’t stop drooling. I like how she lays out the book, has simple recipes, talks about meal planning for the week, lots of ideas and substitutions, several mix and match meals, no weird random expensive ingredients, etc. It feels more like a book that’s meant to be used as a jumping off point for lots of meals vs a set of disparate recipes collected together. I’ve already got the apple cinnamon overnight oats on the fridge and am excited for breakfast!

4 Likes

Ooo. I’m I intrigued! I am big on weekly meal planning, but with room for creativity. Sounds right up my alley! Def report back on recipes you try!

I went through an overnight oats phase. I really liked them but just kept forgetting to make them the night before. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

They were so good! It was my first time making overnight oats so I wasn’t sure what to expect on the texture but the flavor was amazing. I’ll definitely be making them again. I was reading on Food Network’s website that you can make them up-to 5 days in advance so you could batch make on Sunday and have them during the week.

Here’s the apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe. Almost every recipe has the optional additions and swaps section.

I’m going to make the veggie packed potato leek soup for dinner tonight.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am even less likely to do this, lol. I know myself…

Oooo…that soup sounds amazing!!

4 Likes

Haha I’m not great at batch cooking but for overnight oats I might give it a try since it’s basically the same amount of work to fill five jars as it is one jar. 6-7 years ago I got into a weekly batch meal planning/recipe kick where I’d spend like 4 hours prepping everything on Sunday for the week. The food was good but I really didn’t enjoy that style of cooking.

3 Likes

Yeah, they really aren’t that much work and I loved them. It was just when I had that facepalm moment in the morning, I ended up scrambling without a back up and that’s when the unhealthy options come out. :see_no_evil: Maybe I should try again.

I’m sure future you was happy about all that work you put into Sunday, but yeah, not my idea of fun either. I do enjoy the time I spend cooking dinner most days. Though it’s a good idea to have a quick and easy back up for those days you really aren’t feeling it!

Lunch is my hardest meal to plan for. I have been doing salad kits because when I buy the stuff to make my own salad I “don’t feel like it” and end up eating something else while the salad stuff goes bad in my fridge. I did pick up a couple frozen veggie bowls by Tattooed Chef at Target the other day to help mix things up. They were pretty decent. I also try to keep frozen black bean burgers in the freezer as a back up/last resort. They are pretty good with some fun sauces/toppings…I do get sick of eating the same stuff all the time.

4 Likes