Help Me Eat Less Meat

For a good ‘meat-light’ option, I like using a little prosciutto on top of risotto or salads. It’s so flavorful, that you kinda forget it’s like 1 oz serving of meat, compared to a more standard 4 oz.

Crispy Prosciutto Lettuce Cups - I made the recipe as described when Blue Apron sent it to me, but since then, I’ve remade it tons of times, as a salad instead of lettuce cups. The ‘cups’ just fall apart and leave you holding a mess in your hands. So instead I rip up the lettuce, and put a base layer of that on the plates, then top with the rice and marinated veggies. (I don’t stir the peppers into the rice. Just marinate them for a few minutes in the vinegar so they’re still crisp.)

2 Likes

I made this for lunches this week (with my own variations due to what was in stock): https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/white_bean_and_tuna_salad/

You could easily miss out the tuna IMO because it kind of flaked into teeny tinyness that you barely notice.

Added home made guacomole and a spanish tortilla. Yum

2 Likes

Here’s the pressed tofu I was talking about.

It comes in big folded sheets.

The texture is very firm & chewy.

Like all tofu, it doesn’t have a strong flavour & picks up whatever taste from the seasoning.

Kids like this stuff, it can be cut into any shape!

6 Likes

Interesting!!

I am going to look for that pressed tofu sheet when I go to the Asian market this weekend!

I have pinned or printed out a lot of the recipes…I am getting a bit bored with my meal delivery and eating take out or hubby’s comfort foods made in mass quantities!

1 Like

That baked tofu recipe is very similar to how I bake mine. Turns out nice and crispy. I’ve even done variation with no spices and no oil and then put the tofu in a peanut sauce. It was still flavorful.

1 Like

I have a couple baked tofu recipes I can’t wait to try after frying was a fail! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We just had a farmer’s omelet for lunch, that could also be a great dinner if you mix in a few different types of vegetables or potatoes. We used two eggs each, a tomato and a few handfuls of fresh spinach from the garden, so it was still a fairly light lunch dish.

2 Likes

Great idea!

I keep coming across halloumi in recipes. Anyone ever try it?

I’ve been curious about it, but haven’t tried it yet because of my lactose intolerance. I’m not sure how much lactose is in the cheese itself.

I tried it in one of my Hello Fresh orders…I think it is something you have to get used to…for the calories, I am sticking to regular cheese…I must say, though, the recipe they gave me had me grill the cheese in pan and it does not melt like regular cheese…it was ok…

Grilled No Melt Cheese

It is considered higher in lactose than most regular cheeses we eat…and way higher in fat

Yeah, I just googled it. Looks like it would be a bad call for me, even with a lactase pill. I’ll stick with my occasional treats of harder aged cheeses, and my cashew cheese from Treeline.

1 Like

I have learned that many food substitutes are not worth it…I would rather just cut back on certain things…cheese is one food I love but would rather splurge on a great piece once in a while in small quantities…I save mine for Stiltons…I love their lemon cheese!

1 Like

Yeah, it seemed a little weird, which is why I wanted to check in here to see what folks thought before jumping in and trying!

1 Like

I mean, if lactose wasn’t a problem for me, I’d certainly try it.

1 Like

I try most foods…so I would try it again if someone else prepared it with a recipe they liked…I am a bit picky about texture…the texture of cheese is one…and you can forget gelatin stuff…lol

1 Like

Halloumi is SO SALTY, omg. I love it, personally. Also a traditional Armenian braided string cheese, often made with caraway or nigella seeds.
You can soak for a little bit to tone down some of the saltiness but not too much or it gets mushy. It’s really fun to eat but sparingly, the salt content is outrageous.

2 Likes

Interesting. Saltiness might help it be palatable to Mr. Road!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty tasty. A little goes a long way since it’s salty and fatty. It’s got a special texture, and has been known as ”squeak-cheese” at our place.

Nice ways to prepare it:

Put a whole chunk on the grill to give it a bit of a sear and melt it somewhat. Slice before serving.

Cube and fry until golden on all sides. Add to dish of your choice, or use to top a salad.

Slice and fry until golden, serve with veggies and carb of your choice.

It will release some moisture and look pretty melty, but firms up as it gets a golden crust. Don’t flip until you’ve got some colour on it, but turn pretty often after that to make sure you don’t cremate the poor cheese.

2 Likes