Help with lengthening a dress

I like this dress and it fits, except it’s too short - I have eczema on my calf I like to cover. This fabric with lace is the right length. I would also put a narrow bit of lace around the sleeves. I prefer it with the fabric behind but not sure… Any suggestions?

My assistant also seems ambivalent…

A couple of meh options - I need to also cover the faded old hem line:

3 Likes

I’ll leave the suggestions to our resident seamstresses, but wanted to say it’s a very clever way to transform the dress into something you will enjoy wearing.
And love your little supervisor!

3 Likes

Would you be up for doing an insert in the skirt with matching cuffs on the sleeves? I like the look of an insert in a straighter skirt rather than adding to the bottom. It could be a similar blue or even a contrast color as long as it was at the sleeve as well. The bonus is that you wouldn’t have to hem the dress by using the original bottom hem.

Is there a slit in the back to help with walking? That is a concern to me on slimmer skirts that go a bit longer.

3 Likes

I like to see the light through the lace. If you want fabric behind it (that is what you are asking, right?), how about using a contrasting color? Maybe white or light blue, or even a bright color.

I added ivory lace to lengthen my denim dress!

3 Likes

I think adding an insert would be much better! Definitely I will do something similar to the sleeves. I will need a slit or it will be a ‘hobble’ dress!

3 Likes

I thought I would like the openness of the lace, except with my legs, it looks weird! I did try pinning some ivory lace to the bottom but was too short. I want to use what I have, 'cause I have a ton.

2 Likes

Who am I kidding - Mimi isn’t my assistant, even supervisor doesn’t really capture our relationship. She is the alpha of my two furry overlords!

2 Likes

I think with the denim a more “casual” style of lace would look cute- like an eyelet or maybe battenburg. Contrast is a great idea, too!

1 Like

Yes, a more casual lace would be a better choice! This has had me stumped for weeks, it should have been a simple fix.

2 Likes

You are in good company…while I am very brave with new fabric, I struggle with fixing pre-made clothes…I know in my head it will work, but, I worry that it won’t look like what I thought…I have loads of clothes that just need such adjustments…

@edel gave us a motto TO USE THE GOOD STUFF…but I think I need one that helps me fix the good stuff I already I have! :laughing:

I think your dress will be nice no matter what you do…as long as you love it and wear it!

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone! I have a tendency to pick up clothes that aren’t quite right, thinking ‘It just needs to be taken in’ or ‘it would be perfect with sleeves!’ When will I learn?!?

2 Likes

Did you ever finish your dress makeover? Just curious how it turned out.

I am still working on it! I’ve changed the insert three times, then decided I needed to dye some lace… It was supposed to be an easy ‘fix’!

1 Like