Hobo pie / Sheppards pie

A very old/simple recipe that I’ve et since I can remember.

1. 1 lb. Fried ground hamburger
  2. 1 c. Corn (canned, frozen, or fresh)
  3. 6 c. (or more) Mashed potatoes.
  4. A dusting of cheese.

American cheese does have the best flavor, but I bet even a dusting of some parmesan would work on this as well.

Just layer it, fully cooked ground hamburger, corn, then mashed potatoes, and top with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Be sure to season the hamburger and mashed potatoes with salt and pepper.

As for the name of this, in my family we called it both sheppards pie and hobo pie. So I’ll just use both here, too, heh.

6 Likes

Minus the cheese and add some onions to the ground beef, this is one of my favorite foods my dad used to make when I was a kid. I still make it when I need some comfort food.

Minus the cheese and with canned creamed corn and I do love this as a comfort food.

(I know it as Sheppard’s Pie.)

Minus the cheese, plus some garlic and frozen peas iI know it as cottage pie. Shepherds pie uses ground lamb. It’s a favorite in our house.

If I could, I’d add a lot of goodies to it, heh. I bet powdered (or finely crushed) dried mushrooms would do wonders in it. Though, I bet I could hide that without the missus noticing, :smiling_imp:.

This batch, I made my herbed mashed potatoes. Green onions, sauted garlic, and parsley mixed into the mashed potatoes.

3 Likes

May have to make this (adding peas and onions and garlic, and minus the cheese, as others mentioned). Bookmarking; thanks for the idea! It’s been years since I had this. Have always called it shepherd’s pie.

1 Like

My dad made this as well…but we had peas in ours…I like all of the other ideas as well, but not sure I would like cheese on it…we also called it shepherd’s pie, which, really, makes sense that it was originally lamb…but my dad used ground beef, too…

Looks so yummy now!

1 Like

You inspired me, @CatwithSevenToes! I decided to make shepherd’s pie for dinner, too. I threw in some extra things, whatever I had on hand. It’s delicious!

I used grated carrots, frozen peas, canned corn, diced onion, minced garlic, and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Also sprinkled a tiny bit of ground thyme in it.

1 Like

I make this all the time (as Shepherd’s Pie), with a bit of onion and garlic and some frozen mixed vegetables (thawed) cooked up with the beef. A little grate of hard cheese (parmesan, gruyere, etc.) on top gives it a lovely scent and colour. I never knew about the version with a layer of creamed corn until a friend who grew up in Québec City was recently telling me about it. There it’s called Pâté Chinois.(“Chinese Pie”) :man_shrugging:

1 Like

After reading all the comments, this has reminded me why I love math so much. It’s so fascinating how something so simple has so many complexities. This really brightened up my day, and I needed a good smile. Good eatings, :blush:.

1 Like