Home for Christmas. (3D Cross-stitch!)

I was thrilled when I saw this pattern! How cute! How festive!

This project I battled with though…not knowing that linen (even evenweave linen) is NOT the same thread count up-and-down as it is side-to-side. Lessons were learned. In a flat piece it wouldn’t have mattered.

Here’s the rundown:

Pattern: January 2019 issue of Cross Stitcher Magazine
Designer: My fav! Tiny Modernist/Cheryl McKinnon!
Time: Roughly 30 hours
Fabric: DMC Charles Craft Linen Evenweave 28ct (stitched 2 over 2)
Size: 2-3 inches tall, 2.5 inches wide, 3-4 inches long

Anywho, here she is, in all her glory!

There are four distinct panels (front, back, and each side) and they were sewn individually. Here’s a sneak at the first two where I grumpily show off that they are not the same length. You can’t tell from the picture but they’re not the same height either. (Don’t worry, I fiddled the sizes and planned accordingly on the next two panels luckily.)

Each panel was wrapped around cardboard. I didn’t lace it. I was so OVER this project I used masking tape. Then you stitch all the panels together.

Here’s some views of the other sides:

The roof (which will probably be redone in the future is cardboard covered in felt. I added some white felt to make it look like snow. It had looked like it was missing something. I didn’t actually attach the roof (because I’ll probably redo it someday) but also, if you take the roof off, you can lay the house flat which is good for storage purposes!

Thanks for looking!

28 Likes

Ah! It’s so stinking cute!!!

3 Likes

I truly do appreciate the number of hours you spent on this little house…it is marvelous in its details…

I have loads of linen and can’t even imagine cross stitching on it by counting those little threads both directions…lol…I used some Belgian linen supposedly made for cross stitch and embroidered on it instead…

I think your work is wonderful…and you have to have so much patience and persistence, but it paid off!

2 Likes

I can’t even. I keep all my projects sample because cross stitching is so time consuming. And this is 3D! So flippin cute!!

3 Likes

This is excruciatingly adorable! ACK! I admire your bravery in even starting and your tenacity to see it through! Dang.

2 Likes

Wow! This is amazing! So detailed and so pretty!

2 Likes

I love love love it. While you were working on it. I didn’t realize it was so small!

1 Like

This is amazing!! Cross Stitch Queen right here :crown: :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

2 Likes

I would have cried when I realized the panels were not the same size. You can never tell. You pulled this off beautifully. I like the roof and the fact that it packs up conveniently. It’s adorable.

1 Like

Adorable!

2 Likes

There weren’t tears luckily. But there was swearing and bad moods for sure. :joy:

2 Likes

SHUT UP! This is so rad!

2 Likes

That is so cute!

2 Likes

Wow! Amazing!!

2 Likes

This turned out so cute! Great job.

1 Like

This is really sweet! so much work!!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Home for Christmas is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

Aw! Thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This is absolutely amazing! What a great keepsake!

1 Like

Oh wow – you have patience! That little house is so adorable and well made. The tiniest things always seem to take the most amount of time, don’t they?

1 Like