Home made chili

Made enough so my kids have to come by to get some, heh.

2 lbs hamburger
1 pkg, 16 oz pinto beans.
6 Roma tomatoes cut in halves.
5 or 6 jalopenos cut in 1 inch pieces.
1 whole onion
3 cloves of garlic (the more the merrier)
1 tsp cumin
1/8 cup chili powder (add more if needed)
1 tsp paprika
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce.
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Start grill and put the dutch oven over flames with enough water to cover the beans fully. Cook until the beans are tender.
  2. Toss in all ingredients. Cook til onions, tomatoes, and peppers become soft.
  3. Serve.

For a more thicker chili, pour out most of the water before adding all the ingredients.
If your store isn’t out of them, which the one I went to was, dad gummit, put in 3 green chili peppers sliced in 1/4ths in with the jalopenos.

To make a chili that’s perfect for putting on pancakes, pour out all the water and put in a whole large can of tomato sauce in place of the 15 oz can of tomato sauce.

6 Likes

As an added bonus, plus to make any chili go farther, add a layer of cornbread over it.

1/2 c. Flour
1/2 c. Cornmeal
1/4 c. Shortening
1/4 c. Sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder.
1 tsp salt
1/2 c. Milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Blend in egg and milk. Pour over chili and bake for 28 to 35 minutes, or until cornbread is a golden brown.

2 Likes

Ooooh, that looks delish!

the first one sounds yummy, but I find it very strange to see the cornbread on top of the chili.
We’re not used to cornbread, so I don’t know how it tastes but from the pictures it looks like it has a cake texture so my head is making assumptions with sweet cake and chili :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

cornbread and chili are really common in the South where I am but we usually have it on the side, not as a casserole. It’s coarse and crumbly and not cake like (although I’ve heard Northern cornbread is more cake like). it can range from super sweet to not sweet. My family always did not-sweet corn bread.

2 Likes

I love chili SO much and yours looks delish! I like the cornbread on top, I usually put cornbread in my waffle iron and spoon my chili on top of it. I’ll have to try it this way.
I don’t care what temp it is outside I will eat chili every day of the year!

It’s funny, but I can’t recall ever eating cornbread with chili growing up, or even when I lived alone. I’m certain I did, but without the fervor I do this way. Which I started making it this way after my mom made a tamale pie one time.

I think the reason I like it this way might be I’m not a big fan of cakes, and the only reasons I like rhubarb cobbler is for the soft bits of mushy caky dough with the fruit (YES IT’S A FRUIT). Same with banana bread, etc. So maybe the lower texture is different. I do know that I would like it better this way.

I grew up in Kansas so I’m right smack dab in the middle. I get the best of all worlds, heh. I’ll make my cornbread based on what I want. For bean soups and chilis, very crumbly. As a side like a dinner roll, inbetween crumbly and cake like. As a side, but for less mess, then caky.

Heh, first time I did that with pancakes my wife stared at me like I was nuts.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, when I was a bachelor, I used to cook with cornmeal a lot.

I made a pudding out of it, mush, cornbread, a crepe like pancake type thing, and pancakes (not as good as the crepe like pancake thing). Gah, I haven’t thought about all of those in a looooong time.

1 Like

I never heard of chili on pancakes, but I suppose it isn’t that much different from cornbread based flapjacks. Interesting recipe.

1 Like

whelp… I’m hungry now.
this looks delicious!

1 Like