Homegrown Cucumber Bread

Just like the past several years, we’ve harvested lots of cucumbers from our garden. Mr. Lynx suggested I look for a recipe to see if it was possible to make cucumber bread, and I found this one. @Geekybookworm and I spent at least an hour peeling, scraping out seeds, then shredding over a dozen cucumbers. We used the biggest and fattest ones first.

The recipe called for nutmeg, which we didn’t have on hand, so we substituted with pumpkin pie spice.

The recipe also said it would make two 5"x9" loaves. Maybe our pans were bigger than that, but we only got one loaf.

It just came out of the oven and we haven’t tasted it yet, but it sure smelled good whilst cooking!

16 Likes

I’m really curious to know how cucumber bread tastes! Please update us when you do try it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t know you could bake with cucumbers! I’m fascinated to find out what it tastes like, it looks good!

1 Like

Cucumbers?!?! In bread?!?! Mind blown.
:exploding_head:
Yes, please report on its deliciousness!

1 Like

Taste=100% delicious

It ended up very thick, dry on edges, not quite done in middle.

8 Likes

Nice!

There is a lot of water in cucumbers, maybe shred them and let them drain a while in a colander?

If you are in a hurry, wrap them in a dish towel and twist to squeeze out excess water.

Great suggestions, but I did all of those things.

3 Likes

Wow! That is wet!

The good news is, we now know one can make a tasty cucumber bread. We just need to play around more to get the consistency right. It may just be a finicky bread to make.

3 Likes

Cucumber bread ?!? Wow, I never would have thought of that.

I wonder, if you’d made 2 loaves, maybe in would have cooked through better.

Thanks for the link, I’ll consider making some myself.

1 Like

Perhaps, but they would have been half the height. I’ve had the same problem with banana bread baking that way before, too, probably with too ripe bananas. Maybe we ended up with too much cucumber or it didn’t get mixed well.

But hey, we’ve got more cucumbers. We can try again.

4 Likes

Interesting! I read the recipe & wondered why it didn’t include salting to extract moisture like you do for zucchini. Cukes are so much juicier, I’m sure this would help dry them out enough to let the loaf bake through.
Here are some googled instructions for zucchini that I’m sure would work for cucumber, just remove any salt from the dry ingredients so it doesn’t end up super salty:

For every pound of grated zucchini, place grated zucchini in a colander and add 1 teaspoon of salt to draw out the excess liquid. After about 15-20 minutes, using your hands, squeeze any remaining liquid from the zucchini and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.

4 Likes

WHOA. :exploding_head:

TheMisterT cooks dishes from all over the world with all kinds of ingredients combined and used in ways that are atypical to most Americans and even with all that cucumber bread is blowing my mind! So glad to hear that it’s delicious!

1 Like

What an unexpected and smart way to use your cucumbers! Did the bread retain the cucumber taste?

It did!

1 Like

How interesting! Food experiments can be so fun. Cucumber with nutmeg is a combination I would never have thought of.

I’m not much of a kitchen person. I have glass baking dishes. How would that affect time and oven temp?

For glass dishes you bake at a lower temp for longer.

Glass vs. Metal Baking Pans - Which Is Better? | Handle the Heat.

:bell: :bell: :bell: Ding, ding, ding! Congratulations! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :bell: :bell: :bell:

2 Likes

I have found these too sweet for my taste in the past.