Homemade Bagels

This is my first try at making bagels. We have lox, cream cheese, capers and heirloom tomatoes in the kitchen and dill in the garden so I really really wanted one. I considered ordering some from NYC then remembered I had bookmarked this recipe from Food & Wine a while back.

I had to plan a day in advance because one of the ingredients needs to sit in the fridge overnight. I’ve run out of bread flour so used all purpose. They took 3 hours start to finish but most of that time was spent on the dough rising.

They were delicious!

13 Likes

Yum with a side of yes, please!

1 Like

Good on you! I made bagels once, it’s a lot of work!

You can order gluten online, add it to all purpose flour to get bread flour. It’s the extra protein from the gluten that makes bread flour strong.

1 Like

Great idea, thanks!

Amazing. These look like the real deal. How did they compare?

I had no idea you could order bagels from NYC!

Thanks! They aren’t as good as what I remember from NYC but they are delicious and didn’t cost a fortune. You can order the real thing from Goldbelly and probably lots of other places.

1 Like

Excellent. I’ll be over later for bagels and lox. You can just throw one into my car window to maintain social distancing. :laughing: :bagel: :heart:

2 Likes

I’ll leave them in my mailbox!

1 Like

I’ve read that the water in NYC has something to do with the uniquely amazing bagels there. :wink:

I bet yours were fantastic, especially with all those fixins!

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :kissing_heart: :heart:

1 Like