Homemade watercolors

I managed to convince my kid that she should have prehistoric art as part of her birthday party theme this year, so I got to make paints for favors!

Here they are, in “action”:

Seashells are the oldest recorded paint cups. (they were also used like this in the middle ages)

I have a bad habit of spending too much time making party things for kids who enjoy them for twenty seconds before moving on, so I ordered pre-ground ocher and lamp-black. I also got powdered gum arabic for a binder. Unflavored gelatin works fine too, but we were having mouse problems, so I went with the vegetarian option.

100% non-toxic & kid-safe, which is good since the party guests ended up painting each other…

Start by hydrating your binder-- I think I used one part gum arabic to 2 parts water, & then let it sit for a couple hours. Then mix that with pigment!

The mortar & pestle was kind of fun, but since the pigment I had was commercially pre-ground, the only thing it really did was make me wash a whole lot of red ocher down the sink trying to get the pestle clean. I mixed the other colors in smaller containers with popsicle sticks, and that worked just fine.

Here they are, ready to dry:

(mine did crack somewhat over time, which may mean my “ok, this looks about right” measurements could have been better, but you can always rehydrate them, and it didn’t seem to be a problem with the amount that got used on a painting.)

(and then I had extra gum arabic already hydrated, so I made some with mica powder, too)

29 Likes

Oh my gosh, this is incrediballs! Super mom!

1 Like

What a fabulous party activity and favor idea! Sounds like the kids had a blast.

1 Like

This is really cool!

2 Likes

They went from “let’s have a seance!” to “let’s pretend to ritually sacrifice each other so we can then be resurrected & bring back messages from the underworld” in under a minute. Possibly the most surreal kid game yet, and there have been some exciting ones… :laughing:

4 Likes

How old were they? I was imagining a bunch of 4, 5, and 6 year olds, but those games sound like older kid games.

This is really neat! I love the use of the shells and am so impressed that you made the paints yourself!

Ten. :laughing:

1 Like

Looks so cool, glad the kiddos had fun!

1 Like

So extra awesome! I love the way you used the shells!

1 Like

What a great idea and amazing execution!
@Edel, you’ll appreciate this!

1 Like

The paints are amazing!

Kid games can be terrifying. I played a few like that myself, but reading that made me feel a bit jittery, I admit.

2 Likes

This is so creative and cool! I want to have a prehistoric art party for my birthday!

1 Like

That’s such a cool idea! They will remember that forever!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up sweetie

@thanate this is an amazing party activity. Looks fab

2 Likes

so cool! something I would have NEVER thought of as a birthday theme, and I bet the kiddos loved it! well done

1 Like

Fascinating project!

1 Like

:rocket: Wow! This project is out of this world and one of this week’s featured projects! :rocket:

1 Like

I would love to see some of the kid’s paintings with these, if you got any pics of those?

1 Like

Sadly I did not-- I checked the paper I put up for them to paint on which is still on the concrete pad under the deck, but it’s been walked on & overdrawn as a sacrificial circle, and now there’s stuff on top of it… Anyway, no great works of art were created, but largely b/c they were having too much fun running about & hitting each other w/ foam swords, so it all works out I guess.