Horseshoe Cable Beanie

I was asked to make hats for a family friend’s children this Christmas. Then she asked if she could add one for herself. She said to make whatever I want, as long as it was cream.

8 Likes

Love the pattern you chose! Was it hard? I have yet to attempt cables.

1 Like

Knitting is one of the few crafts that I have not gotten very far with. This pattern is lovely. I hope that your friend is just tickled with what you’ve made for her.

1 Like

That hat will be so versatile for your friend! Lovely color and pattern…

1 Like

Gorgeous hat!

1 Like

What a classic! I’m sure she’ll love it for years and years.

1 Like

Nice work! One day I’ll work up to knitting. I keep promising myself I will anyhow, ha.

1 Like

@sheepBlue No, it was pretty simple. Cables are much less complicated than they look. Rather than knitting stitches 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, you’re knitting stitches 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. It’s just a matter of moving stitches to a separate needle, so you can knit the next stitches, then knitting the stitches on the extra needle.

I have a general idea of how many stitches I need for certain yarn weight/needle combos. So when I decided to do the horseshoe cable, I just figured out how many cables would fit that number of stitches. I also like to make my ribbing fit with the pattern, when I can. For example, this is an 8 stitch cable. I know (from previous experience) that if I do a k2,p1 rib, it will fit an 8 stitch cable with one purl to separate cables.

That was a lot of information, and maybe didn’t make a ton of sense… TL;DR: Cables may seem daunting, but you’re really just moving a few stitches around.

1 Like

Thanks, all! It was really fun to knit up. Might have to make myself one.

1 Like

Lovely work!

1 Like

The shorter answer seems to make sense with my limited experience. The longer answer will need to be reckoned in reality one of these days :sweat_smile:

:laughing: Yeah, totally.

Very pretty design and lovely execution!

1 Like

Cute design! Looks really nice, not too short, looks really well done