Hot Cocoa Bombs

My boys and I jumped on the Instagram fad train and made hot cocoa bombs today. They are hollow chocolate balls filled with cocoa mix that you pour hot milk over so that the insides “explode.” I was excited to get the hang of tempering chocolate! We’ll see how well they work tonight.

I have a couple half-sphere molds, but there’re pretty small. The bigger ones here only held about a tablespoon of cocoa mix, and the smaller ones held a teaspoon. I think finding the molds on Amazon right now is pretty hit or miss since the bombs are a hot commodity. Here are some progress shots.

Boys are thrilled—keeping a five and six year old away from them so they don’t crush them with enthusiasm has been a challenge, lol. If I get a decent shot of them in action tonight I’ll post in the comments, but I actually think that videos I’ve seen so far are pretty anti-climactic. I’m sure kiddos will love them regardless.

14 Likes

they’re gorgeous no matter what! I am going to jump on the train with you!

1 Like

You can see there were lucky charms marshmallows in the larger ones. :hugs:

6 Likes

They’re so pretty!

2 Likes

How fun is this?

2 Likes

What a fun project! Especially with your kiddos!

2 Likes

Ooohhh. I didn’t know they had hot cocoa mix in them. That makes sense now! I was looking at these things on another site and I was like “why wouldn’t they just eat the chocolate?” Lol! These are very pretty!!

2 Likes

Whoa! I think I am in love.

2 Likes

Such a cool project to do with the kiddos! They look so pretty!

2 Likes

Your bombs turned out very pretty.
I think my daughter would love this (I know I do). I think I have half sphere molds, now I need to figure out where to find tiny marshmallows around here.

2 Likes

I’ve seen videos of those and they’re so cool! I never thought about making my own though. I’ll have to check it out. Yours look super yummy!

2 Likes

This is my weekend project if my molds get here tomorrow… My kiddo didn’t eat pork so I have to make them with halal marshmallows. Everyone who makes them in the area use regular marshmallows…

2 Likes

Ooh I’ve been hearing a lot about these lately. I think I’ll be adding cocoa to my grocery shopping list now, this looks so tasty. 'Tis the season!

2 Likes