How can I make this into jewelry?

Hi folks!

I’ve had this for probably a decade, just waiting for the day I figure out how to make it into a necklace. I’m pretty sure it’s from a music box. I don’t know if I want it to be horizontal or vertical, but in either case does anyone have ideas on how to make it secure to a chain? (Btw this table is used only for crafts so ignore how gross and covered in paint and glue it is :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

My initial two thoughts:

• If you have the ability or interest in learning to soder, it should be pretty straightfoward to soder a loop to each end (or one end) to thread some chain or cord through.

• A more simple idea is looping chain/cord around the first set of “gears,” secure with some wraps of wire and then string as desired from there. Hopefully that makes sense…

You could use a wire (or even thread/cord) tightened or tied between 2 of the disks. It looks like that one end has a little indent that would hold thread or wire.

How about using crimping beads at both ends and securing wire or cord at the two ends and have it lay horizontal instead of vertical?

It does look like the part that hits the metal parts of a music box to make music! How cool is that!

Are the parts sticking out sharp? Will they dig into the skin or clothing when worn?

1 Like

I would consider a way to encase it in resin, and include an eyehook at the same time. It IS super cool, but looks like it would snag everything under the sun.

Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you decide!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! It’s not very sharp but might be worth seeing if I can file down the pieces a little bit. I’ll let you all know what I come up with!

1 Like

How big is it?
Could you take it apart and thread the cogs on a chain, or link them with wire?

I don’t think so, it seems pretty solid

1 Like

Could you build some sort of cage or encasement around it?

1 Like