How would I preserve this leaf art on canvas for as long as possible?

Hello all. Can anyone guide me on how I could preserve this project that was done on canvas? It has real sentimental value and I would like to preserve it for as many years as possible. Thank you.

3 Likes

I’m thinking some kind of sealant that could keep the leaves from decaying, but it’s not an area of expertise for me. And I worry if the leaves are already brittle, how to avoid damage when applying said sealant. How old is it? Do you know if the background is paint or chalk or … ? Hopefully, someone on Lettuce Craft will have some advice for you.

1 Like

I’m thinking maybe @Edel or @Magpie might know something or could tag in a good person to advise.

3 Likes

Hmm…
Resin works great but it takes a lot for a bigger project. It’s fussy & smelly, I’d practice with smaller pieces first to get the hang of it.
For “perishable” art, I take a good high quality photo.

3 Likes

I’m with @Magpie, crystal pouring resin, but it is a fussy beast and so you should definitely practice first. You’d need to build up the sides to hold in the resin, as you would need to cover the leaves completely. If you get that done successfully. I would also flip it over and get a thin layer of resin on the back, and paint the sides with it too. Just to completely exclude all air.

1 Like

I’ve learned to use a glycerol/water mixture on ”fresh” autumn leaves to preserve them, but that’s probably not helpful at this stage. I don’t know if it works at all on older dried leaves, and you’d need to remove them from the canvas, risking brittle pieces to break off.

Here’s that method, plus a few more, but unfortunately they all describe what to do with freshly picked leaves.

2 Likes

Thank you all. I will look into the resin option, or try and find a place near me that may provide the service. Thank you.