Hummingbird Pendant - A Memorial

Over the past year, I’ve become friends with a truly talented local polymer clay artist. Her name is Niamh and she was so stoked that I knew how to properly say her name. :laugh: We’ve been fast friends since.

Her grandfather passed away about 2 weeks ago. She knew that I’ve gotten into embroidered pendants so she asked me to make this piece for her grandmother. Her grandfather loved hummingbirds. I love hummingbirds, so I couldn’t say no. Animals are challenging in this format. The bird is slightly larger than a nickel

25 Likes

It turned out lovely! What a thoughtful thing to do for a friend…

1 Like

Beautiful hummingbird, and so sweet of you to have made it for her.

1 Like

Is that a split stitch that you used on the chest? Wonderful tiny piece of art. My grandparents had about 30 are their feeders for years. Fierce fighters who defend their territory with tons of fun myths about them. You captured the attitude perfectly!

It’s called long short stitch. When I got into making these pendants, I just did what felt right and then, learned later that what I was doing has a name. :laughing:

1 Like

You’ve really captured so much hummingbird detail in that tiny little stitch! And what a sweet remembrance for your friend’s grandmother.

1 Like

It looks like delicate feathers, great choice.

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous stitching.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Ooh. That was a lot of pressure, but you stepped up to the challenge wonderfully! The hummingbird is lovely and is a beautiful tribute.

2 Likes

:fireworks: Congrats! Your project is one of our features this week! :fireworks:

Thank you! :smile:

You did a gorgeous job! This will be treasured.

Thank you! I do hope so. :smile:

What a lovely tribute. I am in awe of your embroidery - it is so tiny and perfect, just like hummingbirds!

Awww, thank you! :heart: