I Have A Dream-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

My employer sent out an email last week that they were having the first annual Black History Month art showcase and artists from all mediums were welcomed. Nothing like an impossible deadline and last minute panic to motivate me! 6 days and 12,000 stitches later Dr. King has come to life. It is a nice size wall hanging measuring 21inches by 50 inches

In progress shots

25 Likes

WOW! This is incredible and immediately recognizable. It’s so tidy you’d never believe it was done by a speed demon!

3 Likes

I knew you would make it in time!!!

I bet it is going to make an impression! Nicely done!

3 Likes

Just awesome!

3 Likes

Wow! :green_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m glad he’s recognizable because my daughter said it looked like Drake!

2 Likes

This is a treasure!

2 Likes

wow! I can’t believe you did that in 6 days. It looks awesome.

2 Likes

Amazing! You are really speedy; those frequent yarn changes must have been rough! Great job!!!

2 Likes

YES! The ear was the worst part :ear:
Thanks for all your kind words!! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Wow! I had seen your progress shots, but finished…holy crow, that’s amazing!

2 Likes

Wow! This is excellent! You’re a speed demon! :smiley:

2 Likes

I am so happy you made this. I know others will be as well. It’s tangible and immediately recognizable.

Have you decided how you will display it, yet? The weight is always a concern (for me, anyway). Maybe similar to a quilt, but with the rod sheath ALL along the back (and not just at intervals?).

Wow - this is so cool. I would be interested in what other people make as well! how cool to be part of a worthy subject.

:shamrock: :metal: :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I’m waiting to hear back to see if I have wall space because if I do I can hang it via a rod (like you suggested) otherwise I may have to get a poster frame tripod and hang it with drapery clips from there (my least favorite method because of the weight)

I can’t wait to see what others made too!

3 Likes

Amazing!! I saw your progress shots in the snapshot thread and can’t believe how quickly you put this together! Excellent job!

3 Likes

Oh, this is exciting! Please update and let us know!

2 Likes

WOW! This is incredible!

2 Likes

This came out perfectly! I’m also working crochet in that color scheme and you’re edges are so nice and crisp- really A+ work there!

2 Likes

Thank you! I found that using a bobby pin as a stitch marker on the first stitch of every row really helped keep my stitch count on point. So I had 2 bobby pins on either side at the first (or depending where you started-the last) stitch

2 Likes

Great job! I’m Canadian and would have known who this was without a caption,

2 Likes