I made fern fabric!

I made this fern fabric by laying the leaf on cotton fabric, completely covering the leaf with masking tape, and hammering the heck out of it until chlorophyll bled through the other side.

@irid3sc3nt was my partner for the stationary swap. She wanted a travel container for her ATC projects and also listed houseplants as one of her themes. Hence, this project.

This fabric was fun and easy to make. I’m definitely making more in the future.

30 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

So nice!

1 Like

It’s really pretty.
I like crafts where you can just smash stuff!

2 Likes

I am happy to be the recipient of this beautiful piece!

3 Likes

Just insanely cool!

1 Like

This is amazing! I love it!

1 Like

It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, friends. I was surprised and delighted by the color and texture variations that resulted from different species and leaf ages. The ostrich tail fern from my yard released the chlorophyll evenly, but the younger leaves released more brown tinged pigment. The Boston fern pigment created a crackle effect. At first I thought it was going to look terrible, but I ended up liking the overall effect. Now I want to explore new fern species. Do you think the garden center will notice if I thief one leaf from each of their plants? :smile:

4 Likes

That’s wild! I wonder how long the pigment will last? (I suppose a long time, if it’s anything like grass stains.)

1 Like

I thought the same thing. I ironed the fabrics in hopes of setting the “stain”. I think it will be OK since it is a book. I bet they wouldn’t stand the test of time if the ferns were on a clothing item that requires laundering.

1 Like

I wanna try with gum tree leaves!

I only realized that Australian gum tree is the same as eucalyptus after I Googled it. A mix of these different species on one fabric would be gorgeous. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Soooo coooool! The fabric turned out great and you made such a nice little ATC supplt wallet with it. Sounds like a nice project to de-sublimate some rage, too.

2 Likes

I love this idea! Very, very cool!

1 Like

That is very cool! I keep hearing about plant pounding and being skeptical, but that came out impressively well… maybe I should add that to my list of things to do with yard trimmings.

2 Likes

Well this is amazing! Awesome results!

1 Like

:fireworks: Congratulations :fireworks: Your project is a featured project for this week

2 Likes

Awww! Thank you!