Ickerlish- a family ATC

When I was a broke single mom, red licorice was a go-to treat because it was cheap and a large package would last my oldest and me a while.

When he was little, my son (as all littles do) struggled with pronunciation of certain words. And while most of the super cute things he said are lost to time (he’s now in his mid-thirties), “ickerlish” remains. I loved it then and I love it now. :heart:

(I believe the masterboard was made by @GeekyBookworm)

17 Likes

I like that name better…I really can’t stand licorice in any form…ha ha …I am going to call it Ickerlish from now on.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: oh that’s awesome! He would find that funny I’m sure!

2 Likes

I love these childhood memories documented in art! SO dang cute!

1 Like

The ickerlish looks yummy! We use a number of our two sons mispronunciations to this day.

Just gotta share this one … our 5 yo grand daughter has trouble saying some of her L sounds. We saw a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker earlier this year while visiting her house, now she’ll say her favourite bird is a Yeyow Bellied Sapsucker - I’ve asked her many times why she can say Bellied but not Yellow :joy:

4 Likes

Oh yum, I love the red licorice at Trader Joes. It’s my fav. I’ve eaten 3/4 of a bag in one sitting. I’m a fan of bold lines around artwork and your rendering of the reflectiveness of licorice is just mwah
My nephew used to call garbage “garjib”. The grandparents will still say it sometimes to be funny, along with other phrases that some of my nephews said.

1 Like

I love that you celebrate these little family in-jokes and memories. You did a great job drawing the ickerlish!

2 Likes

How adorable. Love the story, & the lettering!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

Super cute! Gotta love those kid-isms!

1 Like

Lol! So true! Thank you!

You did a great job with the shading and highlights. Fun story too.
In our family we still call R-rated movies armenated. My parents told me i couldn’t go with them to the movies because it was R-rated and i told the babysitter they were going to an arm-en-ated movie.
I love family secret languages!

1 Like

Armenated!! Awesome!

Thanks!

This is lovely! The background and the “icklerish” really complement each other! (Yes, I believe that the masterboard was made by me :grin:!)

1 Like

Thank you! And thanks for the masterboard, too!