Indigo Scarves

Last month I went to an indigo dyeing workshop in Himeji with some friends. We had so much fun! The teacher there showed us how people have been dyeing with indigo since the Heian era, which ended in 1185. Each of us dyed two cotton scarves. I made one with a tie-dye technique, which resulted in beautiful diamonds because of the weave of the fabric, and one with a fish pattern, which I sewed into the cloth before dyeing. Sadly the fish pattern didn’t turn out as bold as I’d have liked, but you can still see the fish if you look for them!

Here are a few progress photos! :slight_smile:

There I am putting on the rubber bands for the tie-dye scarf.

Next I dunk it in a huge vat of dye, then take it out and wring it out.

Then, quite literally, rinse and repeat, as many times as you like to get the depth of color you’re aiming for:

Finally, dry it out:

Here are my completed scarves, which I gave to my parents (one each) for Christmas:

9 Likes

Those scarves are lovely!

1 Like

Nice! A group of us did Indigo Shibori tie-dye with @AIMR a couple summers ago, she was an awesome instructor. None of mine turned out as dark as yours though, I must have less than half your patience, d’oh!

2 Likes

Gorgeous! That sounds like an amazing workshop.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone!

Progress photos are up now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so glad you got to do so many neat, new, and fun things before you moved back from Japan. Hopefully you can find more fun things to explore the next time you go back for a visit!

2 Likes

Thanks! I really tried hard to get as much as I could out of my last year in Japan. It’s gonna be tough adjusting to life back in the states again, but I think once I get my stash back and start really crafting again, that’ll help ground me more!

2 Likes

The indigo scarves are gorgeous.
I love seeing posts of your crafty adventures in Japan :smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Sadly I think this is the last of them, since after fifteen years in Japan I am now back in the states. I hope to still have crafty adventures though!!

Welcome home! I’m sure you will have many more crafty adventures…perhaps in the form of a future lettuce craft meet up :smile:

1 Like

So pretty! I really want to try this. I know @AIMR has done this before. She did a tutorial too.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic!

1 Like

Trying out new things is so much fun, really great effect of the ancient dying method :smiley:Wonderful

2 Likes