Inspiration from a Recycled Sari Skirt

I belong to this crazy group on FB of people that literally collect skirts made from recycled saris. The colors and patterns of the skirts are incredibly inspirational to me, and it is my happy place to be on FB when I just want want to overload on color and patterns!

I made a few “friends” on there and decided to use them and their favorite skirts as inspiration for some art…that along with the new techniques I am learning from the paper & mixed media group , sure makes it fun!

Here is the skirt:

Here is what I painted, stamped, splattered, etc:
20201028_173908

19 Likes

This is fabulous!! I love all the different layers a patterns, really cool. And you did a great job drawing the face, she has a really intelligent gaze.

2 Likes

That is so beautiful!

1 Like

Lovely! Inspiration comes from so many interesting places.

2 Likes

I just love this. It is so soulful.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning.

1 Like

The original skirt is really gorgeous. I can see why it inspired you. I think what I like most about your art from these is the combination of the face and floral. I see you’ve added some script in there, too. When I’m looking at it, it makes me feel like there’s a whole story about her and all these other elements are hinting at it. Not to mention, I really like the techniques you’re using – how the portrait looks like an old maquette and then the bolder painted elements. Very cool.

1 Like

Beautiful work my friend.

1 Like

I really hate that we don’t get a lot of chance to talk much in our zoom meetings…I really like chatting with you…just everyday stuff, you know…