Instant Pot tips and recipes

Look what I got for Christmas :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I can’t wait to try @geekgirl’s egg bites :yum:

3 Likes

My husband bought an instant pot last March. It’s been sitting unopened since then. We would have returned it, but…Covid.

I do use a slow cooker, can I just use the same…well, not really “recipes”, since I just throw in whatever I have on hand…

There’s a sautee setting? Will it brown meat and all? Maybe it’s time to open that box!

1 Like

Pulled my IP out tonight and made this! All in one dish of Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes.

I used a couple of recipes online to form my own, it’s what I usually do :stuck_out_tongue:
Here and Here

I am SUPER proud to say that the onions and garlic used in this recipe came from my garden :raised_hands:t2: I also used home made chicken stock that I had stored in my freezer :yum:

(not the most photogenic dish)

For the mash:
In the bottom of the Instant Pot, add around 1kg peeled and diced potatoes, 5 whole cloves of garlic and one cup of chicken stock. I also added some dried herbs.
Place the trivet on top of that and wiggle it down flat.

For the meatloaf:
Grease a small tin that will fit inside the pot. I had a small square cake tin. I was considering using my silicon egg moulds to make mini meat loaves.
Mix together 500g mince, 1 egg, 1/4 cup almond meal, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 small finely diced onion, salt & pepper and herbs & spices of your choice.
Shape into a log inside the tin.
Cover with foil and place a 1cm hole in the centre of the foil to allow steam to escape.

Set the slow cooker to 35 mins pressure cook.
Preheat oven towards the end.
Make a glaze using a mixture of ketchup, bbq sauce and yellow mustard.
Once finished, quick release steam.
Carefully remove the meatloaf and place on baking dish. Coat with glaze and bake for 5 mins.

Add some salt and few tablespoons of butter (or as much as you like) to the potatoes and mash them directly in the pot.

Because we a GF I had to modify the meatloaf recipe, it fell apart, but still tasted great :slight_smile: I would suggest you use your own tried and true meatloaf recipe. The highlight of the dish was actually the potatoes! They were so yummy :yum:

This made 4 big serves

2 Likes

I havent tried cooking 2 separate things in the IP yet. this sounds good.

1 Like

I’m so glad I just found this thread! I LOVE my electric pressure cooker and we use ours at least once or twice a week. Ours isn’t an Instant Pot but a Power Pressure Cooker, so it’s a little different as far as settings go, but does the same thing. The thing we make the most is what I call taco chicken.

Taco Chicken
3 Large Chicken Breasts, trimmed and cut into approx. 2" chunks (not necessary, but the smaller chunks absorb more flavor)
2 Packets of Ranch Dressing Mix
2 Packets of Taco Seasoning
Chicken Broth to Cover

I cook it for 30 minutes on my chicken setting and often release the pressure instead of letting it release on its own. Once it’s done, I use a potato masher and just squish it down and it shreds the chicken in the juice. We usually use it to make rice bowls. I take 1/2 cup of rice and top it with the taco chicken, a few spoonfuls of the broth from the pot, some black beans or refried beans, and salsa.

Makes enough for 8 or 9 meals. We often eat it once for dinner and have one serving of leftovers each then freeze the rest for later.

I’m so excited to look at all of your recipes and find some new dinner ideas!

1 Like

That sounds really good! I’ve been wanting to make burrito bowls at home.

I am still intimidated by my pressure cooker, lol. I made chicken noodle soup a few weeks ago. It was good (tasted like cooked all day after 30 mins), but I still don’t have the hang of releasing the pressure. And while it’s cooking I feel like it’s going to explode, lol. Mental.

@PrincessP - LOVE that the onions and garlic came from your garden. Mashed potatoes was one thing I was looking forward to trying with my cooker.

1 Like

The first recipe link has instructions for if you just want to make potatoes…it’s much quicker :blush:

1 Like

Ooh, !!!HUNGRY!!!

That sounds good!

Definitely give them a go. I was thinking I might make some ‘just because’ and keep them in the fridge, and they maybe turn them into some sort of potato cake/fritter.

1 Like

Another winner!

The only change I made was to more than double the parsley at the end, it’s growing so prolifically in my garden, we have to try to use it up somehow :stuck_out_tongue: we really loved the flavor of the parsley in it :slight_smile: it came out as more of a risotto texture, but that was fine :slight_smile:

This would be pretty great for kids I’d imagine too :v:t2:

1 Like

I made instant pot butter chicken. Not like you get at an Indian restaurant but tasty.

I got the recipe here

Also I got a new accessory for my pot. A thing to direct the steam away from my upper cabinets —- that looks like a dragon!
I tried to get an in action pic but you can’t see it too well

5 Likes

I saw that dragon on a YouTube video, thought it was hilarious!

Butter chicken looks yummy too!

Omg that’s the coolest.

We have one too. Ours is a cannon.

1 Like

That is so cool! I must get one, our house is a dragon house.

1 Like

Trying mashed potatoes tonight…:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Oooh let me know what you think :slight_smile:

I have a pampered chef quick cooker, not an instant pot so the settings are slightly different and I don’t know what I’m doing enough (yet!) to translate recipes for one to the other.

But really, it was like boiling potatoes in the cooker so I just added potatoes and water and went for it.

I forgot the silicone gasket wasn’t in the lid (we had taken it out to clean it), so that was a minor disaster lol. But we got there in the end and the potatoes were great! Definitely feel a little closer to comfortable now! :laughing:

1 Like

I love pampered chef. We have an incredible baking stone, it’s enormous & gives such a terrific crispy crust to pizza & bread. I didn’t know they had an instapot equivalent, gonna check that out.