Intro to (Small Batch) Canning with MistressJennie - An LC Community Class

Cool, thanks for that… I’m sure I can find something in the kitchen that will work.

1 Like

Reminder to those interested: The Small Batch Canning class will be next Saturday, November 13th and signups are still open! So far we only have 3 people registered.

This is a class that is easy to take, even if you can’t take it at the time it’s offered, because it will be recorded and you can play it back at anytime. I’ll be going over tools, terms, and ingredients for the first part, then making a batch of jam. You totally do not have to be following along, making jam as I do. You can watch the entire class through, then go back and rewatch while making your own jam.

4 Likes

I will sign up when I get home…I am not sure I will have time to get supplies but seeing how it is done will help a lot.

1 Like

Folks who sign up, but don’t watch live, are also welcome to ask questions here in the thread anytime. I check LC several times a day, and will certainly be able to answer soon.

1 Like

Having lived in Europe the practice carries by country even to this day. I grew up and learned to can in both the US and Italy and the process and thoughts vary widely to this day! Its the same in health care, what one country finds acceptable another looks at like OMG you’re kidding, because of what’s become normal in their culture. Not debating what you will be teaching at all I just find it a really fascinating topic to research and dive into because food often dictates cultures and having gone to school at one point for anthropology I love studying what makes people people! But, for those in Europe you’ll maybe have more success finding something like a taller or a reusable lid, which are also sold in the US and considered safe. But, the bands and seals are not as common in Europe and can be quite costly

On racks, a towel in the bottom of your pot works just fine as well.

1 Like

I’m so glad it will be available as a recording, bec sometimes I have things “pop up” on Saturdays, so that is a relief that there is a back up plan just in case. My mom canned lots of peaches and pickles, I think? when I was a child so it should bring back some fond memories…hmmmm…now I’m thinking I should plan a canning adventure with her next time I visit & use your video as our guide!

2 Likes

This is a great article on the many reasons proper home canning requires you to process jars of food in a boiling water canner. Especially useful for those of you outside the US & Canada.

1 Like

I am ready for the class! Just need to pick up berries at the market on my lunch break tomorrow.

2 Likes

I will be at work during the live class, but am hoping I can clear out some brain space to hold the info later!

2 Likes

Anthropology, is on my long list of things I’d like to study

2 Likes

I loved anthropology! Best class ever. Oddly enough, it really made sense of some dietary stuff I was studying.

A towel in the bottom of the pot is such an interesting idea, who knew?

Rob & I are ready for the in person class! Our children keep trying to eat the strawberries on the counter, they are gonna hafta wait for jam :wink:

1 Like

Can’t wait to see you guys this afternoon!

P.S. Your PDFs are going out momentarily…

4 jars of lovely strawberry jam! 3 have “pinged” already. Nom nom nom…

5 Likes

One didn’t seal so we’re eating it with Rob’s fresh baked bread.

It’s delish!

I used the less sugar version, it’s plenty sweet.

4 Likes

When I went to the grocery store this morning, I found raspberries on sale crazy cheap, so I’m about to start a batch of raspberry jam.

1 Like

Small batch? I’ve got half a package of pectin to use up…

Yeah, I’m doing a batch of 4 jars, based on the pectin jar basic recipe.

Wish I’d been able to attend live; the jam looks yummy! Thanks for the wonderful, 30-page illustrated guide, @MistressJennie! I’m sure I’ll be able to follow that, but did you also say there would be a way to watch a recorded version of the Zoom class? Thanks again for this. You’ve done an amazing job with the class!

1 Like

Yes, the class was recorded. I believe @kittykill is sending out the link to the recording today.

1 Like

And 4 jars of Raspberry Rose Jam just out of the canner!

6 Likes