Irid the Iris Fairy, New Duds

Just put the final touches on my kid’s new fairy costume, in the nick of time for Faire tomorrow.

The petals are from the original costume, and still in remarkably good shape for having gone through multiple faire seasons. I took them off their original satin sash and attached the to a belt instead, for comfort and ease of wear.

The new wings I posted about already, but the look great with the petals, and my bracing works a treat. (Most fairy cast members are female and wear a bodice or corset. It is standard for wings to be attached to a brace that slips into the top of the bodice. That wouldn’t work here, so I had to invent something.)

The jacket is the major new piece. Fully lined in gold brocade from a vintage tablecloth, outer layer is a low-pile rayon chenille softer-than-usual upholstery fabric. We couldn’t find the shape of coat he wanted in men’s patterns, so we used women’s pattern with altered shaping at the princess seams to flatten the chest. (Lapped seams there made that EASY!) I went through one and a half spools of purple thread and half a spool of gold thread on this thing, and that was with only one minor mistake.

The blouse is a cotton thrift store blouse cust dyed to hit the rusty pink red notes in the transition between purple and yellow on the petals. The original costume leaned cool but we warmed this one up.

27 Likes

That’s gorgeous! Love the colors, and his Peter Pan pose.

2 Likes

How absolutely magical!

1 Like

He looks magical indeed!
You did an amazing job on the costume.

1 Like

Wonderfully resourceful! I love how you reused the petals, reimagined thrifted materials, recut the pattern, etc to come up with such a perfect look! I would love to see a photo (or more) of Irid in the wild if he allows himself ot be caught “on film”! EEP!

2 Likes

Thanks! I asked him to send me one from today. We’ll see.

1 Like

THIS IS AMAZING! Wow. So cool. What a great mama!

1 Like

Awesome

1 Like

It’s still a cheeky pose, because yesterday was very busy, but one of his fellow cast members went around to say hello to people before opening gate, and snapped this pic, but at least it is in the sun and “natural habitat”. We may get more candid shots as cast and patrons upload their photos. But if not, Jude and I will do a photo shoot at a park sometime this week. :smiley:

10 Likes

Ah-mazeballs, wow! The details are just incredible.

1 Like

THANK YOU! I hope to get to see more, but this is wonderful!

Oddly, I recently bought Beatles fabric in a Hey Jude print! Funsies!

1 Like

Absolutely beautifully done!

1 Like

Awesome cool!

1 Like

Magical! This is sooo cool!! And clearly loved!

1 Like

:blossom: Your wonderful craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

I just love how you give a play-by-play of how you came to make this project! So many technical issues to manage while still making it lovely and fun to wear! Love it…the wings are just fantastic.

2 Likes

Wow! This turned out incredible!! I love those colors.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful. I love the petals.

2 Likes

I absolutely love this!

1 Like

Wow! This is incredible!

1 Like