Irish Soda Bread in the slow cooker

Happy Irish Day!

I make soda bread once a year, and have been using the same recipe since the '70s. I got the recipe from my Irish mother, who clipped it out of the newspaper in California.

This year, I’m cooking it in the slow cooker. Here’s what it looks like before baking

it’ll be 2-3 hours before I can take an after picture…

Irish Soda Bread
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put a shallow pan of hot water on the lower rack.
Mix together
2-1/2 cups flour. I use white whole wheat, or AP white, or a mix of white and whole wheat.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
Stir in about 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk (OR any kind of dairy or nondairy milk plus a teaspoon of vinegar. The acid works with the soda to make the dough rise). Use enough so all the flour incorporates, but it’s not soggy.
Mix in
1/2 cube (1/4 cup) melted butter.
2 Tbs or more caraway seeds
1/2 cup raisins (i leave these out, don’t like them)

Plop dough into a 9" round cake pan, cut a cross in the top, bake at 400 until raised, then reduce heat to 350 until golden and yummy, about 1 hour.

Crockpot variation:
Plop dough into cold crock (paranoid me put in a piece of parchment paper and some oil) and cook on high for 2-3 hours.

I’ll report back when it’s done.

Done…overdone. At 2.5 hours, it still looked a little damp, so I left it in another 20 minutes. There’s a little dark brown along one edge, but mostly fine.

Thank goodness I used parchment paper on the bottom; it came out smoothy, but a bit was stuck to the side of the crock.

The loaf spread out to the shape of the crock, and the x a!most disappeared, both probably due to too much milk in the dough.

Tastes good, texture is fine. I’ll try more slow cooker breads.

9 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your results too!

1 Like

Ooh, looks good!

1 Like

THIS LOOKS DIVINE! and i love how you arrived at it.

also, fie on him…

1 Like

Here in Ireland we belive that the snakes were literal ones. As there are no wild snakes in this country. I’ve never heard that the snakes were witches-as there are plenty of those here.

I know that Christians in medieval times did a lot of witch burning and other horrible things to eradicate pagan beliefs. But there actually was very little of that happening in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe. So while I’m no lover of organised religion, I think St.Pat may be innocent of these charges.

And your bread looks yummy!

2 Likes

It’s good to hear another viewpoint!

Slow cooker bread seems fascinating-- I look forward to reading about your future adventures! :slight_smile:

FYI, this is a myth-- driving the snakes out of wherever was a rhetorical saintly deed that’s attributed to a bunch of people in different places around the same time, just St Patrick is the only one we’ve still heard of.

2 Likes

I’ve googled around and can’t find any support for my witches vs snakes story. I don’t remember where I heard it to begin with, so maybe it’s time to let it go.

I’ll remove the slander from my original post, leaving future readers to wonder what the controversy is. :snake: :shamrock: :mage:

1 Like

Top of the morning to ye!
I’m bumping this up in case anybody wants to make it today!

3 Likes

This is EXACTLY how I make my soda bread! Great minds think alike!

1 Like