Irish soda farl (quick non-yeasted 20 minute bread, made on top of the stove)

Morning my lovelies, its cold and autumnal this morning, I can’t go for a walk because it is raining, so I decided to indulge my love of bread instead. I made soda farls, these are a quick non-yeasted bread, that I cook in a pan on the stove, They take about 20 minutes to cook and are amazing warm. But I love them toasted.

Recipe
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
Enough buttermilk to make a soft dough (It will be about 3/4 to a cup)

Put a heavy based frying pan or skillet on the stove at a medium heat, to start to warm. Then mix the dry ingredients and then add buttermilk, You are after a soft dough that is slightly sticky. DO NOT KNEAD. All you are trying to do is bring the dough together.

Tip it out onto a floured surface and shape it into a round flatten it to about an inch thick and cut into wedges,

Sprinkle a thin layer of flour onto the skillet, to stop the farls sticking, transfer the wedges onto the pan and let cook, uncovered for about 8 minutes, they will start to puff up nicely. if the flour around the farls is getting really dark, your heat is too high, reduce the heat.

Once the side that is against the pan has browned, flip over and reduce the heat a bit. Cook for about ten minutes. You can flip them again after ten minutes. And cook for another few minutes. You are after a well browned crust. Poke a knife or a skewer into the side of one, to the middle, to test for doneness, if the knife comes out clean, they are done.

Then load with butter (or in our case lightly fried eggs, tomatoes and bacon) and eat!

This is not a keeping bread, and is best eaten within a day or so. But they are also really good toasted.

It is actually a really easy recipe and means you can have hot bread on the table really fast.

13 Likes

I love bread in all of its forms! Do you think you could freeze these? I’d end up throwing most of it away, otherwise.

Pretty sure I need this in my life.

I think you could, I’d slice it across the middle before freezing and then toast them directly from the freezer

1 Like

My boss is Irish so I might have to surprise her with this one morning…

P.S. Is bicorbonate of soda baking soda?

Yes it is. Just make sure you have some good butter

1 Like

i might have to give these a go for breakfast tomorrow morning…too full still from the thanksgiving…farls are something thats been on my TO MAKE list for awhile, thanks for the reminder!! <3

Revisiting this recipe! Someone mentioned bannock to Robert & so of course he had to give it a try.
Oops :flushed: gummy inside too, umm…

Maybe he’ll have better luck with your soda farl :crossed_fingers:t3:

Next: scones!

Yum, this is the perfect treat for a cool, rainy afternoon!

If it’s gummy, either the dough was over worked. These need a very very light touch, just bring the dough together, and the pan might be too hot. But personally I like a lot of these things, split and toasted after cooking. Takes care of any undercooking. X

Both! Overworked & too hot. He’s a deft hand at regular yeasted breads, biscuits seem to be a new challenge. He’s keen to keep trying!

It’s a transition from a yeasted dough to non.

I can do a zoom with him over the weekend and we can make them together

1 Like

Yay! & scones? We need advice!

1 Like

Yup, anytime

2 Likes