Is this pattern too hard for me?

I found this free pattern online. I haven’t cross stitched since I was a kid. However I do a lot of sewing and embroidery and I catch on to new crafts fairly quickly.

So, I need to know how hard this pattern is. Is it doable for an experienced crafter but cross stitch newbie?

Link: https://www.thewitchystitcher.com/freebies

2 Likes

I think you could do it. I suggest outlining on your cloth. I usually watch or listen to stuff when I do any handwork so I found that outlining the cross stitch I’m doing (which is like my third or fourth one and the biggest) is helping me. It is making it easier to do.

3 Likes

That is great advice. Thank you!

1 Like

YES! If you are willing and eager to take the time to do a few things to help you be successfull like @poetrylover828 suggests AND don’t give yourself a hard deadline for completion, you can do this! Cross stitch is mostly about being willing to pay attention to small, fussy details occasionally and the do repetitive things the rest of the time. In my opinion.

4 Likes

I am pretty new at cross stitch as well…the hardest thing for me is to gauge size…a lot of people told me to find the middle and work out…I found it easier to to work left to right so I found the highest stitch, left a few inches at top, and then worked my way over…

I would try this one because it looks like if you are a few stitches off, it would not be so noticeable…I mean, a missing red stitch would not be noticeable? lol

Go for it…I know you can do it!

3 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement.

1 Like

The small and fussy details are exactly why I have avoided cross stitch so far. However, my friend just got a new camper and I think she needs this, so I’m willing to give it a shot.

2 Likes

I tend to work from left to right, top to bottom, too. I use a sewing thread to mark the grid and the center lines, so I can more easily keep track of where I am. Then I will tackle a couple of grids at a time. This makes it a little less tedious because I get to change colors more often and I get lots of small “finishes” as I mark off each grid on my pattern. I know this is not what is traditionally considered correct, but… I wear trousers and go out unaccompanied by a chaperone, so I guess traditional was thrown out the window with me a long time ago! :flushed: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I do the same thing…mark the grid so I know I am not too far off…

I really am not cut out for fussy or lots of color changes either…I get bored but at least I don’t have to change colors every few rows or columns or whatever the grid is called!

I also just use whatever thread I have…so anything with shading and such is beyond me…

2 Likes

OK, next question. How many strands of floss do I use at a time?

1 Like

Most of the patterns I have done call for 2 or 2-3.

2 Likes

@bethntim did the same pattern recently, perhaps s/he’ll chime in with suggestions.

I meant to add something wise, like “attempting something beyond your current skills is how you learn,” but that sounds so stuffy.

3 Likes

I use three…just split the yarn in half, basically…and use a tapestry needle…they are blunt and won’t pierce the aida cloth but go through the hole easily…I use one strand to outline…and someone told me that all the little "x"s should go the same way so don’t do like I did and rotate your cloth…lol…I had “x’s” going every which way! lol

2 Likes

I did make this! It was super easy, I used size 14 aida cloth, 2 strands of floss, and a not so sharp needle (I’m hesitant to use the word blunt) it also only uses full stitches, no quarters or half-sies.
I was also taught to work from the middle out, so (ahem), 30 years later I still work middle out

4 Likes

And I should mention that I work from the middle out but all my stitches go in the same direction
They all start like this:
//////
And then I got back so they look like:
XXXXX

3 Likes

What? You don’t have to make them one at a time? gaaaaaaaaaaah…just kidding…I was doing that and someone here helped me…lol

3 Likes

Thank you, @bethntim. All your information, including stitch directions helps a lot. My mom cross stitches and I have seen her make a thread grid and work from the middle out. I have also watched 4-H judges inspect cross stitch projects and criticize them because not all the X’s went the same way. That was another reason I haven’t tried cross stitch. Following directions and paying attention to details is not my strong point. However, I’m 43 years old. I think I have finally grown up enough to try it. :grin:

4 Likes

You can do this! Plus, it’s an awesome pattern!!

3 Likes

You can totally do it! Break it down into blocks, then it’s really only small projects but lots of them. And definitely take your time, I always mess up when I rush.

2 Likes

Thank you to all! I really appreciate your help. I printed the pattern and now I’m off to scrounge through my floss for close enough colors.

4 Likes