ISO: colour selection assistance

I’m working on this weird stylised peacock inspired quilt. As it came together it tweaked some aurora borealis vibes.
I’m planning on quilting with a loose horizontal wave, but I don’t know what colour to use for the top quilting.
The back is a green and grey plaid.

What do you think?

5 Likes

maybe grey, or is like a sparkle/iridescent thread an option?

1 Like

I’d love to use a varigated thread, but I find they can be SUCH a monster to quilt with, splitting and shredding. But I love the idea of a metallic.

1 Like

Hello lovely friend!
You know what’s missing from this pretty bird? It’s some purple :purple_heart:.

4 Likes

D suggested purple. Now I’m thinking shiny metallic purple…

2 Likes

I agree with purple

1 Like

Ooo purple WOULD be great!

1 Like

I would consider either grey on the safe side or purple to go all out!

Best metallic thread on the market…pricey but worth it

2 Likes

I don’t think I can offer a better suggestion than purple and / or shiny - I just wanted to say it looks like it’s going to be amazing, and I’m looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

1 Like

I’m a grey girl all the way…but some subtle shiny would not be objected to!

The abstract peacock in geometric shapes makes me heart go pitter-pat. :metal:

2 Likes

I’d say it depends how much you want the quilting to stand out. Putting purple on those light colours will make it very prominent as will any colour except black on the black. If it was me, I’d want the coloured areas to pop so I’d do black on the black and an off white or ivory on the colours.

1 Like

My first thought was teal, but I think purple would be nice also. Unless you can find a purple-to-teal variegated! :heart_decoration:

1 Like

If you want to underscore the aurora borealis vibe could you lean toward a light colored iridescent? Or, and I know this is wacky and not everyone’s cup of tea, but, I was given a cool quilted tree skirt that had glow in the dark stitching. It was fun!

2 Likes

I just finished a skull/bone/Halloween but not quite Halloween quilted in glow in the dark😀

1 Like

Awesome!!

1 Like

I love variegated threads…this one has a lot of the same colors as a peacock but no green…

Now I am buying thread just because…pretty! ha ha But, maybe it helps @sloth3

5 Likes

Throwing out anoother idea - How about turquoise thread to tie the blues and greens together yet stand out. I’m a fan of purple too.

Oh wow, that thread!

1 Like

It does help. You still have my address right? :rofl:

1 Like

That’s what I say about everything. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

2 Likes