It took 3 hours but I was triumphant! (first ever sewn face mask)

Ok, so technically, I’ve owned my sewing machine since like 2008. But, in all honesty, I didn’t use it very much and it’s been buried under a mound of other craft junk for like 10 years. But, I was inspired to dig it out and try and make myself a mask.

I have to give a huge shoutout of thanks to past craft supply partners on cster that sent me all kinds of sewing things back in the day. It’s how I had fabric, and a self-healing mat and stuff on hand. :smile:

Took three hours - because I needed to look up how to thread my machine again and draw up my thread (I forgot) and I had to make a bobbin (which I remembered!) - and it’s literally the least perfect thing ever, but you know what? I DID IT. Two layers of cotton with a pocket for a filter. I didn’t have elastic so it has grosgrain ribbon ties.

I’m feeling exceptionally accomplished and I am going to keep at it to try and make some more now that I’ve managed to do it successfully. :smile:

Who knew that pj’s and face masks were going to be the hot fashion look for Spring 2020? :crazy_face:

28 Likes

Nice! Hope it’s the start of may more sewing projects! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Awesome! I made masks last year I sent off for kiddos in wildfire areas, but I actually haven’t made any for this pandemic. We do a great job social distancing.

PJs and masks…quite the trend indeed! Well done you@

3 Likes

Congratulations! Not only did you make it, you were able to substitute what you had on hand for something you didn’t. True crafter!

3 Likes

I’m in the process of making face masks too! It’s gonna be a minute- I have 29 to make still! (For family members- gotta take care of my kiddos and their families!)

We’ll be getting face masks along with our Easter eggs this year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nice job, I just dusted off my sewing machine to do the same thing. I will be making them to donate somewhere i think. I have moved my fabric stash more than two times and gone through it but I some how still have a bunch I don’t know that I ever had a Project in mind for so it’s all going away. (hopefully) Did you have a pattern?

2 Likes

Looks great :+1: I want to try one with folds too. Did you insert a wire for the nose section?

1 Like

Yeah, I used this tutorial: https://www.ambertheblog.com/easy-diy-facemask-with-filter-pocket/

Not on this one since it was my first ever and I didn’t want to make it any MORE complicated. LOL I do wear glasses and it seems pretty good even without the nose wire, but I am going to look into nose wire options too.

1 Like

Awesome mask and pretty fabric!

1 Like

Thanks! It has kitties on it. :smile:

1 Like