Italian Renaissance garb for a friend

Medieval reenactment has a bit of a barrier to full participation if you’re not a big sewist. A lovely newbie to our group needed garb. She really needed garb, the loaner garb that she was given was the fugliest thing I’ve ever seen.

So she and I blitzed this dress and chemise over one day so she could have something lovely to wear for the next event.

Lots of puffs, ribbon and flouncability

23 Likes

Wow, that was fast and it looks very lovely!

1 Like

I love this very much. NIce work you both !

1 Like

You did that in a day?! That’s incredible :open_mouth: it looks great.

2 Likes

Lovely. And a really great color too.

1 Like

Your kindness of sharing your skills is wonderful…as is that fabulous dress…one day? Unbelievable!

2 Likes

Gobsmacked.

2 Likes

You’re amazing! What a lucky lady your friend is! She looks great in her new get up!

2 Likes

Holy wow! What a lucky newbie to have such a generous and talented sewist help her out!!! It’s truly beautiful and barely believe able that you did it in a day!

3 Likes

Such a beautiful dress!

ONE DAY?!? Is that, like, a wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey Tardis-ish day, or an actual 24 hour period?

6 Likes

It’s gorgeous! I love that pop of color at the cuffs.

2 Likes

It was about 8 hours, we had the bodice cut out a previous day. I made the chemise in about an hour before she arrived (all squares and ripping fabric)

I boned the bodice (cable ties make excellent boning) while she pinned the pleats of the skirt, I attached the skirt, while she made tea.

Then we cheated and used metal eyelets, rather than hand sewn ones for the lacing at the sides. And I made sleeves, which are also rectangles, with fake puffs added. A few ribbons and aiglets for the ends of the ribbons and it was done.

And cheat number two, we used the selvage edge for the bottom of the skirt, so no hem needed.

I was tired!

4 Likes

Dang, girl!!! :exploding_head:

1 Like

This looks amazing! I can’t believe you did this in such a short time. It looks beautiful and you are so sweet to do this for a friend.

3 Likes

This is beautiful!

1 Like