Japanese Knot Bag

I made this reversible Japanese knot bag using Tula Pink Monkey Wrench fabric for one side. My fabric stash is really depleted due to masks, so it was a struggle to find something big enough for the other side. I had just enough squares left over from a charm pack to make it work. I probably should have used a layer of interfacing, but that’s valuable stuff these days, so I did without. I think this will be a handy, casual bag for summer.

28 Likes

That monkey fabric is the best. I like the shape of the bag.

3 Likes

I think the charm pack back is superb! It’s so fun visually—now you see me * snap * now you don’t!

3 Likes

What fun. I’ve been meaning to make one of these forever. And I hear you about the fabric stash being depleted. I’m down to fabrics I don’t really like.

Tip. Instead of interfacing…which I don’t have at the moment and it’s precious anyway these days…a layer of muslin or other cotton fabric (use something you don’t like much as long as it doesn’t show through) for an interfacing. That’s what we used before all the special stuff came out.

Now I want one as bright and fun as yours! I could never decide between the sides. I’d be dumping my stuff out and reversing the bag every other day.

7 Likes

Oooh, this is super cool! I have a knot bag that @jemimah made for me in a swap and I carry it almost every day. I love the bright, happy, whimsical fabrics you chose for yours!

3 Likes

That turned out so great! Now I’m tempted to give that pattern a shot.

I hear you on being down to the ugly fabrics (mostly; I do still have a couple very special pieces I’m hoarding). I just overdyed some fabrics that I was so tired of, and it really gave them new life so that I want to use them for future projects.

2 Likes

Gorgeous bag! Both sides are beautiful :smiley:

I’m so glad you still use your little bag @endymion! Pepe the king prawn still has pride of place on my bookshelf and makes me smile every time I look at him :crown: :shrimp: :sparkles:

3 Likes

Oh, that’s neat and it looks great either way!

2 Likes

Interesting prints and cheerful colors! It’s so great to have a reversible bag - two in one!

1 Like

Love your solution for the other side! Makes both sides cheerful and fun!

A few years ago I made quite a few of them for a swap…it was so much fun to pick two fabrics for each person…it was a bit of a tricky pattern with that handle thing…

Now I need to make myself one to hold more covid knitting projects!

1 Like

It’s beautiful! I love the set of colors together for the inside as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that Tula fabric!!

1 Like

How fantastic!
I love the patchwork inside :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love your resourceful fabric choices! This looks great!

1 Like