Jareth's Crystal Ball Pendant

@momiemae was my partner in the Use What You Have Swap, and I when I saw that she loves Labyrinth, I immediately thought of this project.

I don’t wear a lot of jewelry because I have a nickel allergy and my DS1 has a metal phobia (yeah, it’s a thing, poor kid) and hates it when I wear jewelry. But, I love it and often browse jewelry on Pinterest and Etsy. I saw a similar pendant a while back and it reminded me of the crystal balls in the movie Labyrinth (yup, total child of the 80s, and this movie was pure magic). I remembered I had a clear marble salvaged from a wacky earring still in my stash from, oh, I don’t know, 25 years ago? I guess I was saving it for something special.

It took a lot of tweaking, a lot of swearing, and a couple of hours…but, I managed to make a chain cage for this marble. I cut the chain and added a clasp, added a star to the pendant. Voila! I totally love how it turned out.

labyrinth-crystal

12 Likes

So cool! I bet making that cage was tricky.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you how many times I adjusted the length of each chain until it was just snug enough that the marble wouldn’t fall out. Then, attaching the four chains to the jump ring at the top… I almost cried. But, I’m stubborn, and that sometimes works for me. Would 100% do it again. :joy:

3 Likes

How cool and clever!

1 Like

Great idea! It turned out lovely and definitely a wearable piece for even just everyday.

1 Like

I move the stars for no one

Love that line, and the movie!! This necklace is so awesome… and the fact that you really poured blood, sweat and tears into it makes it that much better.

1 Like

What a gorgeous piece of jewelry! I also have a nickel allergy and generally don’t adorn myself with any jewelry, but I still appreciate and love jewelry myself. So cool!

1 Like

Labyrinth! Yes! I’ve shown it to my son and he thinks it’s weird. He does love Willow, though, and the Goonies.

2 Likes

OMG I need one. Labyrinth is SUCH a good movie and David Bowie is my absolute hero. You did such an amazing job!

1 Like