Jellyfish (in paper)

For the recent Happy Mail Swap, my partner said that she loved jellyfish. We were supposed to decorate an envelope, so I made it jellyfish-themed. Then, I created a jellyfish ATC. I used vellum to create the upper portion of the jelly.

And, the envelope:

I decided that I couldn’t let the envelope be mangled by postal machines and covered with postal labels, so I tucked it inside a larger (lightly decorated) envelope.

21 Likes

Gorgeous and great quote! I really like the water texture, was that a giraffe design originally? Because that is a brilliant repurpose if so, which really works! I’ve been fascinated and perplexed by how to replicate the pattern of water reflections, and I think you found the answer.

2 Likes

I can assure you that the recipient loves the ATC and the envelope! :grin: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Thanks, @calluna! It does look very giraffe-like, but it was intended as a stone pattern. It’s from the MiniMoley Stencil Set- Walls by Trumpet Stencils on Etsy. I thought I could use it for a giraffe stencil, too, which convinced me to buy it. She has some fabulous stencils that have recently made their way into my collection :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The vellum was a great idea! Love the translucence it gives. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautifully done…all the textures and you captured the “floaty” nature of jellyfish with the vellum…

1 Like

Thank you! I enjoyed making it, and it helped me to get back into a crafty groove.

Both your ATC and that envelope are gorgeous. Definitely the right move to put it in another envelope, I could very easily see that envelope becoming part of a journal or even being framed.

1 Like

Thank you! I was really pleased with how the envelope came out, and had every intention of mailing it. But then, others in the swap said that their artwork was covered by postage labels, and I didn’t want that to happen.

Really lovely piece! The jellyfish definitely looks like it’s floating along so peacefully. Great use of vellum too.

1 Like

Thank you! I have to admit, the idea for the vellum came in a flash of just-about-to-fall-asleep inspiration, and I was impressed that my brain came up with that :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes we get our best inspiration late at night. Lol.

1 Like

vellum is such a good idea for a jellyfish! I love the colors of both the ATC and the envelope.

1 Like