Jimmy Beans Advent Scarf

I made a scarf for my mom!

I used the Jimmy Beans advent calendar kit, which used this pattern:

It was a really fun advent kit! It had 24 little tiny drawers in a box, each full of either yarn or notions, and the pattern was split into days as well. I cheated and started before December, because I’ve never crocheted in this fine lace-type style before and I wanted to give myself plenty of time to learn and finish by Christmas. As usual, I got a little video call help from @storerboughtcreation for the hard bits! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Once I got past the first few rows though, it got easier to interpret the pattern, so I managed to figure out most of it by myself.

I did manage to (mostly) finish it in time for Christmas!

The only steps that I didn’t finish were blocking and pompoms. I was planning to do the blocking at my family’s house when I arrived two days before Christmas, but forgot to bring my pins! Whoops! So I told Mom I’d bring them next time I come to visit and do it then. As you can see the edges are curling a bit, and I think after blocking the star-shaped negative space in the rows will also be more regular:

Also, the pattern calls for large-ish pompoms made of the leftover yarn, but my mom isn’t much of a pompom person. I offered to make them for her if she preferred, but she agreed with my original guess. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, this took many, many, many hours, which I did not count, but after working on it almost non-stop for about a month (including some ten hour days of crochet that actually made my BICEPS hurt the next day, which made me laugh), I’m so happy with how it turned out!

17 Likes

So lovely! Great colors!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I looooved the beautiful colors that came in the kit! You can’t quite tell from these photos, but the colors are just slightly asymetrical on either side of the central yellow band. Like, it’ll be a blue stripe in the same position on either side, but the hand-dyed blue is just a slightly different shade on each side, and I actually really love the subtle variety!

2 Likes

What a really fun advent kit! I’m impressed by the amount t of time and work you put into this. It was well worth it for the final result!

2 Likes

All you work paid off in a really cool-looking scarf!

1 Like

So pretty! Your mom looks very pleased with her gift.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Oh, that’s beautiful!

1 Like

I love the cheery yellow contrasted with the blues and purples! Lovely!

1 Like

This is gorgeous! And the recipient looks so happy!

1 Like