Jordan Travel Sketchbook

Your book is a lovely treasure. It has so much information about daily events. I made something similar on a very small scale for an ATC and it was only one day. Not nearly as much detail as you have. That camel! Are you drawing from your memory or from photos or both? I hope to see more of your travels.
Have you tried an aqua brush with your watercolors? I use one when I’m away from my house, but it’s more about color blobs than accuracy like your stunning imagery.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I drew a few things on-site, or at least the large details - the amphitheater and the really big rock formation - and used photos for others. Photos are easier for me to be able to translate the actual shapes/angles.

I do have a couple of waterbrushes and I absolutely hate them! They’re definitely more convenient, but I dislike using them in many ways, so I mostly don’t. They live in my absolute-bare-minimum watercolor kit for hiking.

One fun thing about not using waterbrushes is that I sometimes just had to use what I had on hand, so the first spread was actually watercolored with tea! It made all the colors really lovely and rich.

1 Like

Tea! That’s so cool that it worked and enhanced the colors! Now I’m curious, was it an herbal or caffeinated?

1 Like

Black tea! It was the very last of a cup that had gone cold, so I figured I’d give it a shot!

1 Like

Wow, this is a gorgeous sketchbook, I love it! Super inspiring artwork!

1 Like

Outstanding! well done! Thank you for sharing because you helped me be able to understand my partners process and we have been having a wonderful time talking now lol

1 Like

This is really lovely and atmospheric. I love your lightness of touch with watercolours. I travel with a similar kit and stick in lots of ephemera too. It becomes an amazing record of your trip. I share your dislike of watercolour brushes. I brought them with me on my most recent trip and really regretted it.

1 Like