Jordan Travel Sketchbook

I got back from a trip to Jordan earlier this week and I thought I’d share a few photos of my travel sketchbook. I’m still working on a few additional pages, but these are the ones I actually finished on the trip.

One major highlight of the trip was taking a workshop on geometric art with a local artist. I was super intimidated because it was advertised as being taught in Arabic, which I don’t speak beyond a few words, but the teacher was trilingual and was able to explain. I’m excited to put some of what I learned into practice!

I really like this way of documenting my travels. I feel like I do a better job of remembering, and it also gives me a way to relax while I’m traveling.

27 Likes

This sounds like a really exciting trip! I love that you were able to do artwork documenting your trip while actually on your trip. And your pages are really lovely, too!@

3 Likes

So cool! I’ve always admired people who can do this. And what a great way to capture the memories. I love your style.
Do you paint them on the go as well?

2 Likes

Thank you! I do paint as I go, although I often sketch and highlight first, then go back and paint when the ink is dry and I have access to water.

Here was my kit for this trip! Fineliner, a few Mildliners, white gel pen and pencil, and watercolors.

12 Likes

These are incredible! You are an immense talent. I love everything about this. You really capture the mood of each scene, especially the fire pit.
In awe of your skills!

4 Likes

:star_struck:
These are amazing! They are all so cool; that first one especially draws my eye. There’s just something about the balance/composition of it…

2 Likes

I second(+) what everyone else is saying! As a detail nerd, I also love your date and temperature notations.

2 Likes

Wow, I love your travel journal!
And that you took a trip to Jordan.
And that you were able to draw and paint while on your trip.
The workshop sounds very interesting too.
You rock!

2 Likes

They’re all gorgeous! You put my travel journals to shame. Your sketch of Petra reminds me why Jordan is high on my bucket list!

1 Like

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the encouragement - I have not historically considered myself to be good at drawing, and so this is really new for me. I’ve been watching some urban sketching videos and I think it helped me loosen up and enjoy the process.

I did some more sketching over lunch (I had way more things I wanted to paint than time when we were actually there!) and am hoping to finish these tonight.

@SewCrafty - It was even better than I thought it would be! We came up the back way (it was a hiking tour) and it’s huge and so beautiful. If you don’t mind hiking/climbing a bit, you can easily get away from the crowds, too.

@megwell - If you look closely, you can see that I initially wrote a % instead of a ° in the first one. My brain was scrambled eggs from being so hot!

11 Likes

This is stunning! I also admire this ability. It’s a wonderful way to carry your memories. I will have to look up urban sketching…

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

2 Likes

I finished up a couple more pages! I’m weirdly proud of the big camel - my partners and I were joking that the smaller camels on the other pages look like “racing snails”.:rofl:

9 Likes

These are so striking, you are so talented!

1 Like

These are gorgeous!

I love that you combine the sketches/paintings with written entries about your experience. What a treasure for remembering your travels :heart:

1 Like

These are so awesome!

1 Like

Wow! Phenomenal!

1 Like

What a fun trip. It sounds like you really immersed yourself within the culture. This is such a neat way to capture your memories! I love the combination of written and visual aspects. I am in awe of your painting/drawing talents!

1 Like

Love your sketch book. I used to know some families from Jordan. Such good food. They taught me how to make some of the dishes. Mansef was often on the menu. I haven’t made it in years.

2 Likes

:metal: :zap: :boom: Oh, my giggles! Your great craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :metal: :zap: :boom:

1 Like