Just Begin Mixed Media Sign

I saw this project on Instagram this morning and had to make a version for myself. I printed a copy of a previous background I made onto tissue paper, affixed it to a cradle board, and then did reductive painting to make the words.

Before the reductive painting

I’m really happy with how it turned out, now I just need to add hanging hardware and figure out where to hang it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Can you talk a little about how you printed onto tissue paper? Just attach the tissue paper to printer paper and print?

3 Likes

Good question! I sprayed the paper lightly with pixie spray, repositionable spray adhesive, then attached the tissue paper to it and ran it through my printer.

3 Likes

This is so great! Did you mask off your letters before you over painted?

Excellent advice too. :wink:

1 Like

Yep! I used full sticky backed post it notes and cut out the letters. Here’s the before painting picture

7 Likes

OoooOOOoo! I really like reductive paintings and yours is especially inspiring! Not just the saying, but the final product. Thanks for sharing your methods, too!

2 Likes

This is wonderful! Love your message and your under-layer.

I can see why you would be inspired to make your own version; it’s such a cool project. Thanks for sharing the additional pictures and for explaining the print-on-tissue process; I was wondering about that part. Do you think it’s important to have the bottom layer be tissue paper? That seems like the most intimidating part.

1 Like

….runs to Amazon to look up pixie spray….

2 Likes

Not intimidating at all! This was my first time ever trying printing on tissue paper and it worked perfectly.

You could do anything under the masking - paint, collage, scrapbook paper, etc. I just did tissue paper because that’s what she used and I wanted to try the technique.

2 Likes

Ha! I might have just learned about it last week and bought it right away :joy:. It was my first time using it and it worked great. Apparently you can also use it on the under side of stencils to hold them into place while you are stenciling. Come to think of it, you could probably use it on any paper to make the masks and not need to get full stick post it notes :thinking:

3 Likes

Very cool! Interesting technique, too!

1 Like

Lots of new stuff learned today…good reminder and fun project!

1 Like

Looks great! You did an awesome job

1 Like

:star: Congratulations! Your awesome project is one of this week’s featured projects! :star:

1 Like

Congrats for this wonderfully inspiring project!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

So pretty! I love the added marks you added in the white to make the background show though! This is super inspiring!

1 Like