Kiddie Art Smocks

Our dining room table is pretty much a rotating surface for crafts and meals these days. I’ve had it on my to-do list to make art smocks for my 3-year-old girls to help save some clothes from the mess of paint, glue, and any combination thereof.

Spoonflower has a free pattern on their blog that I used to make these cross-back reversible smocks:

I left off the pocket to make things a little easier for me since I was making two. Of course the crisscross back was a little trickier than I thought it would be and I had to re-do the shoulders on the blue one even with the awesome video that is included on the Spoonflower site. I did the blue one second and got a little too confident I knew what I was doing without reconsulting the video. :laughing:

But best of all…they fit!

Woohoo! I’m sure they’ll be covered with paint in no time. :smile:

25 Likes

Those are just too cute! What a great idea.

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Adorable!

1 Like

That’s awesome and will last through many a-growth spurts!

1 Like

Thanks guys! Yes! The cross backs will hopefully help these grow with my kiddos. :crossed_fingers:

So dang cute! And practical to boot! I had the same idea about the cross backs growing with them and also easier to launder as well as put on/take off than something with long ties! Probably more comfortable, too.

2 Likes

These are great! And how cute are your minis :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yaaaas! Smocks for the win! I’ll have to keep this idea handy when my granddaughter is old enough to get messy crafting with me! Your versions are adorable.

1 Like

I love them and they look so sweet on your girls!

1 Like

Those smocks are just so flippin’ adorable!

1 Like

I bet the girls are thrilled to bits. I like how long they are. Making is messy business.

1 Like

So messy!!

1 Like

These look so pretty! I just bought a pattern on Etsy for a slightly more dress-like adult version of these, and I’m looking forward to making it when my health is doing better. I love the wrap-over apron style–it was very popular when I was living in Japan, and it’s SO much easier to deal with than ties/buttons, etc. I bet your girls are delighted to coat them in mess! :grin: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Which one did you get? I have tried a couple but not loved how they fit the chestal area, lol. I’m always looking for a good review!

It was this one!

“Crossback Apron Sewing Pattern PDF - The BACK WRAP- Instant Download Sewing Pattern #124 - Sizes XSmall, Small, Med, Large, XLarge (0-18)” from ModernVintageDesigns

https://www.etsy.com/listing/291398081/crossback-apron-sewing-pattern-pdf-the?ref=shop_home_recs_1&crt=1

2 Likes

That gives some options for the front, nice!

1 Like

:dizzy: Oooooh yeaaaaaah! Your wonderful project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Adorable and I like that they cover the back too. many a times I have sat in paint or pulled my pants up or some other odd movement with a smock on and still got paint on me.

2 Likes

These are wonderful! Cute and practical!

1 Like