Kindle Reader Pouch

This is a button-flap closure Kindle e-Reader Pouch. The fabric was a great find at the thrift store and you know I snatched it! :smile: It was several yards folded in a basket, unused and had a 0.50 tag on it. It seems to be custom-designed and printed and has the name Jakarta Print on it. I have Googled and have found nothing like it and no Jakarta Print fabric being sold.

This is a simple pouch design, quick and easy to make. As with any embellished sewing project, you just have to remember to add your trim before you assemble it.

I cut out the pattern by laying a Kindle on a folded section of the fabric and cutting with about a 1 1/2" border. Doing a lot of measuring frustrates me so I eyeball a lot. Of course, this causes un-redeemable problems sometimes and I still haven’t learned. :rage:

Be sure to cut the border wider than you will need. This allows for the thickness of your Kindle. I also cut out 2 same size pieces of Low-Loft Poly-fil batting for the gently-cushioning lining.

I sewed the beaded fringe trim to the right side of the front piece. To measure the ribbon closure, I layed the 2 fabric pieces wrong side together with the Kindle laying between. Before cutting it, I placed the navy grosgrain ribbon in position under the back and folded it over to where I wanted the button closure to be on the front.

I cut the ribbon longer than needed to allow for mistakes. According to my design, I then sewed the ribbon piece to the top, right-side of the back piece, because I wanted the 2 tails of the folded ribbon to hang down on the outside.

I sewed the batting to each piece. At this point, I should have trimmed the batting as close to the stitching as possible for less bulk when sewing, pressing open or tacking the seams.

I decided to add a decorative stitch along the top of the pouch and even though my machine has a free arm, I chose to do it before assembling. This stitch also further secured the ribbon closure.

I layed the 2 pieces right sides together and stitched then trimmed the seams. I angle-cut the corners for less bulk, then turned the pouch inside out. I chose a shank button to give more play in closing it with the ribbon than a flat button would give. I hand-sewed it on. I made sure to place it far enough down the front so that the ribbon will be taunt when closed. This would secure the Kindle inside.

For a more professional finish, the button should be attached when sewing on the other trim. That way, the batting will cover all of the trim stitches. To make the ribbon go easier over the button, I decided to stitch on a triangle of navy felt. It also added a stylish touch.

The side seams showing from the inside of the top of the pouch can also be tacked down for a neater, more-professional finish. A good way to do this is before assembling. That’s when the batting can be cut away as close to the seam as possible near the top of the two pieces. There will be less bulk to tack down. You can do the tacking before assembling or after. It can be done by machine or hand.

In the 2nd pic, you can see the tacky side seems showing at the top. Because I hadn’t cut away the batting near the top of the seams, it was very bulky when I finished. I didn’t feel like tackling trying to hide them. Taking time and a little extra effort makes a better end product. :blush:

14 Likes

It looks great! I would have snapped up that fabric too. The royal blue ribbon, beads and button look perfect with the fabric.

1 Like

Great fabric and what fun, fancy trimmings! Love it!

1 Like

This is fantastic! That fabric was such a find and you showcased it perfectly. I love the bead trim and all the details!!

1 Like

Great color combo! The trims finish it up nicely.

1 Like

Oooo I especially like the bead fringe!

Thank you! That royal blue and gold are complimentary colors. I like using that type of color theme because the colors make each other look vibrant. It was unbelievable how much fabric was folded up! Possibly around 10 yards. As I lifted it up, I was afraid that it was stained, moldy and smelly but it was crisp and pristine.

And when I saw the 0.50 on it I was astonished! I clasped it to my breast as I walked around but I think I aborted my trip and got it to the register and home as quickly as I could. And when I went to the register I slung it on the counter like it was nothing and unimportant. :rofl: I didn’t want someone to say WHAT! We didn’t mean to put 0.50 on that! You know some thrift stores now try to make a killing on anything that they perceive is valuable. Whoever priced this piece goods did not value it at all!

Thank you! It’s like home decorating, isn’t it? You take a pattern and pull out the darkest color for accents. It always works. Can’t go wrong.

I do too! Like others on a budget, I’m always looking in the sale/discontinued bins. Somewhere I was had a bin of marked-down trims. I bought quite a few, two pks of some like the one used here. I have different styles and colors but none similar. Don’t we hate to use our stash? :roll_eyes: We just want to look at it.:smile: Thank you for commenting!

3 Likes

Yes. That’s why I’m not part of the Use the Good Stuff Craftalong. I like to know that I have it, occasionally look at it, then put it away again. I like to think that stuff is waiting for just the right project. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s a pic of the Jakata Print Fabric selvage, the only identification I could find and a pic of the cuts for the pouch.

1 Like

Oh, this is so pretty and such a great functional piece.

1 Like

I did not know this. Thanks :grin: fab pouch btw

1 Like

Thank you! And to clarify the decorating process, if you have a rug, poster/painting or drapes with a pattern that you love, you can use it as the centerpiece of your decor. Using this technique will pull together your room and help it to look professionally decorated.

Pull the darkest color from your centerpiece and use it for pops of color around the room, pillows, candles, lamps, flowers, etc. This is because darker colors can be overwhelming and, well, dark when used in large spaces.

Take the next lightest, or midtone color and use it a few less places in the room, like an ottoman, a bench, a second rug, flowers or other mid-sized accents.

The lightest color in your centerpiece is the one that can be used on the largest areas, like walls, ceilings, sheer curtains, etc.

This method of decorating is such a fun process to use! :yellow_heart:

This is really useful info, thank you!

1 Like