Kitschy Vintage Valentine Wreath

Edited/ updated to add that I added something (a large, purchased sparkly cat Valentine) when I actually hung it on the door; new picture is the first one below.

Got obsessed thinking about doing a kitschy Valentine wreath… Gave in and made it today. Here it is, in all its over-the top craziness…

It was SO much fun to make!!! I spent half a day arranging and re-arranging stuff.

It’s got a chunky-yarn backdrop and vintage glass ornament dangles. Most of the stuff is vintage, though not all. Gives it a very retro vibe… Vintage elements include:

Bow at the top
Pink plastic dancing dolls
Spun cotton heart-shaped cupcake picks, circa 1960 or so
Little bouquets of paper and/ velveteen flowers
Warbler whistle
Jewelry-pink flower pin and earrings
Plastic Cupid charm
Tiny ballerina
Sequins creations
Silk flower spray
Plastic baby’s breath
Mother-of-pearl heart
Tiny pink clay rosette
Seam binding lace

Everything else is newer… not super-new, though, because almost everything is from stash except for the plastic “Sweatheart” heart.

15 Likes

Oh wow, that is fantastic!! I love the kitschy vintage awesomeness :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Well this is just the bee’s knees! Super duper cute.

1 Like

Freakin adorable!

1 Like

That is adorable! I love the vintage feeling of it.

1 Like

I love this so much! I can’t believe you used a lot from your stash. I’m jealous you had that much to work with!

1 Like

I just LURVE this!

1 Like

I love this a lot! Plus, I want all the neat stuff!

1 Like

I’ve been stashing specifically for “kitschy Valentine vibe” (and kitschy Christmas vibe) for a few years. Garage sales, thrift shops, etc. The 1950’s/60’s cupcake picks were inherited through my mom’s father, who was in the bakery supply business. They are probably the item that inspired this…

2 Likes

This is so pretty!

Squee! That weeny itsy bit of a sugar plum fairy ballerina! Ooh, this is just the most adorably charming wreath ever!

Now I have more stuff to look for when I go thrift and antique. I have an iris case with some valentine stuff, but it’s mostly papers, stickers, and ribbon.
I had made a wreath out of strips of fabric in Valentine colors a couple years ago, but I wasn’t interested in that wreath this year. I think if I gathered enough stuff, I would attempt this although I won’t be able to have any paper pieces on it because I don’t have a storm door to protect my wreaths.

1 Like

0h, you should definitely try it! I hang most of my wreaths indoors. Our coat closet has a door that is directly in front of you, when you enter our front door. It’s much nicer to have a wreath there, than just a bare door.

I am super impressed with your vintage stash!!! This is adorable.

1 Like

I never knew I needed a Valentine wreath until I saw this. Utter vintage-kitsch perfection!

1 Like

So cute!! Love all the vintage trinkets. It’s like festive eye-spy!

1 Like