"Knee pastries" - traditional German carnival pastries

Since there are no carnival festivities this year and the kiddos are so sad my mum thought we could try making traditional German deep-fried pastries from the region of Frankonia where she was born. She remembered that her grandmother used to sit in the kitchen and pulled the dough over her knee before frying it. My mum herself had never made those pastries until today when we sat in her kitchen and put a lot of dough over our knees :smiley: Here’s the result

It’s a yeast dough. You form balls the size of a tennis ball and then pull them over your knee so that the middle becomes very thin while the edges are thick. Then you deep-fry them and sugar them with powdered sugar. So yummy

24 Likes

Those look yummy!

1 Like

Those look delicious!

1 Like

@MissingWillow, @kittykill they are very tasty! You can’t eat more than one though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I totally want these now! :drooling_face:

1 Like

I’m drooling a little. Trying to be discreet about it though.

3 Likes

fascinating! The knee-as-mold thing is strange but clever-- what do you use to keep from getting your knee/clothes all doughy?

3 Likes

Just a dish towel. That’s what my mum’s grandmother used so we tried too and it worked very well.

3 Likes

They look great! In the Netherlands we eat pancakes during carnival. There’s even a proverb “as busy as a pancake pan during carnival”. I really need to celebrate carnival in Cologne some day.

2 Likes

They look delicious!
And I bet you had fun stretching them over your knee.

2 Likes

Your own version of carnival sounds so much fun. So glad you’re able to have some form of carnival to keep the fun alive

3 Likes

Not only to they look and sound delicious, they sound like a fun treat to make together!

1 Like

They look so good! And it sounds like a fun way for your mum to remember her childhood. :yellow_heart:

Congrats! Your Knee Pastries are one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

Ooh, wow, these sound delicious! And they look great, too! I had never heard of using knees as molds. I’m glad you and your family are finding your own ways to celebrate.

1 Like

I really loved learning about this delicious tradition!

1 Like

I am drooling and love learning about knees as molds! Who knew!?

1 Like

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!

1 Like