Knitted dishcloth

One of my goals this year was to learn to knit and @Lynx gave me knitting supplies in the 12 Days of Christmas swap! This is my attempt at a dishcloth done only in knit stitch. With some tips and help from @JoyfulClover and @jeanneleigh .
I can see a couple places where I lost tension but considering how many times I stopped and ripped it all out I’m fairly satisfied with the effort. I did get bored and since it wasn’t for anyone else I ended up making the smallest dishcloth ever!
(ignore the paint encrusted thumb nail)

20 Likes

Cool! (and don’t worry on the tension; dish cloths get incidentally blocked & then unblocked again through use…)

3 Likes

so what…there are some boo-boos…you did it! It just takes repetition and practice…but for a dishcloth, it is functional and good!

Congrats on learning and how great that you had some lettuce heads to help!

2 Likes

Well done leaning a while new yarnie craft!

1 Like

Well done! And honestly, i make some small ones, too. They’re good for scrubbing in corners. Having different sizes in the kitchen is a good thing!
Congrats on achieving your goal!

2 Likes

these are my favorite things to knit, great job!

2 Likes

For a first attempt I’d say that’s really good.
As for the frogging over and over - on the few occasions I’ve taught people to knit (or crochet) I give them a tiny ball of yarn and make them frog and start again multiple times, it helps the different processes to stick - amazing how easy it is to forget how to cast on. Repetition is the best way to learn.

3 Likes

Nice job! I’d feel very proud of myself if I were you!

2 Likes

That looks great GG! I’m learning to knit too - it’s both amazing and terrifying.

2 Likes

When I learned to knit I remember exclaiming, “Who in the world thought it would be a good idea to use two slippery pointy things to maneuver yarn around to make fabric!? This is insanity! At least crochet has a HOOK on the end!! That makes sense!”

I also wondered at the intelligence of the anger management programs that prescribe knitting. I was REALLY ANGRY a lot just learning to knit!

5 Likes

Two slippery hooks and a LOT more wiley loops that can go awry.

4 Likes

I really missed my hook during this endeavor.

5 Likes

I give you a lot of credit on learning how to knit. Did you learn just by reading a book? I took a class once at my local library and I was so bad at it that the lady teaching the class said she had never seen anyone try to knit like me. :yum:

I also LOVE the color yarn you used!

Add knitting to your list of crafts you can do!:+1:

1 Like

Looks great- I’m glad you persevered! Tension looks so much improved.

2 Likes

Yes @Lynx gave me a knitting book called I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting. It goes into detail on each step. It was a good guide. A couple people showed me some of their tricks but I never had to go watch a video.

I’ll have to show you the crazy way I have to hold the yarn to keep the tension. :smile:

4 Likes

This looks great! And that’s the size of dishcloth I prefer - easier to manipulate!

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll give knitting another try, you’ve convinced me. I’d feel better about if you’d come over and hold my hand while I struggle through it though. Or maybe not my actual hand, lol :yum:, maybe just my yarn? The holding part is super awkwardsauce for sure.

3 Likes

That was the hardest part. Too many things to hold. I pretty strangled the yarn to get enough tension.

3 Likes

Yay You! Beautiful scrubbie dishcloth

2 Likes

I am so proud of you! You finished a whole thing! And I love the colorway you chose.

I have several of these cloths and use them daily. They’re the best!

:metal:

1 Like